Noobie question: which amp is best for me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nordic, he has. He's got a Bose three piece satelite system with 85db sensitivity. I would suggest that maybe even a 20 watt class A amp may not be totally satasfactory with 85db speakers unless he rarely turns the volume up to loud levels. I've listened to speakers that act like his with a Dynaco Stereo 70, 35 watts/channel, and that was really not enough for anything but lower listening levels. If he insists on building the class A amp, which should sound great, he'll always be able to to use the power supply and heat sinks for a peppier AB amp later if he wants more power. I still havn't dug up my linestage schematic but it's based on the VTV octal line stage so I don't know if I should be posting it anyways, copyrights and all. It's a two stage mu follower though so the guys over at the tubes forum could proably whip one up in about five minutes if you ask them nice.
John.......

whatsnext, i NEVEr ever turn on loud since my neighbours will kill me..
i put loud enough for a comfortable listening experience not ultraloud for metallic party one :D
i tried to ask on the tube forum..
let's see what i get..
still i want to know how should i select the chip in order to get around 20-30W in A class..

Questo Fratello..this one brother

It is a 55 Watts unit..over 8 ohms.

But you can use other supply voltage....from 22 simetrical to 37 simetrical.

Maybe a sligth adjustment in the bias resistors will be needed to lower voltage.

Questo vá molto benne, il suonno é di valvole eletronicci...this ones goes very well...sound alike electronic tube.

If interested Leggionari...the link is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=415297#post415297

Arrivederci

Carlo

Attachments

• aksa_version.gif
    aksa_version.gif
    9 KB · Views: 140
AndrewT said:
Hi,
85db/2.8V and <=20W will only just about match a slightly loud conversation. :eek:

I'm thankfull that someone here knows math better than I do. His speakers also have some real bad impedence dips in the low frequencies which will make the lack of headroom in a small Class A amp more obvious. He says he likes his speakers though so he must be driving them with something now. Whatever that something is might just need a tube buffer inserted into it's circuit to give the original poster the tube sound he seeks. Anyone got a schematic for a second order distortion generator? I hate knocking anyone else's speakers especially since he's already said he likes them so I won't suggest replacing them. His wife or girlfriend may like the small size of his........................speakers so that may be why he likes them.

well actually i wanted to do two project:

one for a gift, to my gf dad, that loves music
this is the most critical, i don't know what kinda speaker he has, so i should stay on safe side, tube pre, chip amp, and something that makes it sound "tube" while keeping power up around 50W is perfect.

the second one is for me, i have a yamaha AX-870 integrated amp, i wish to make it sound more "tube" i saw i can add a pre by taking out the rca wires on the back (since the pre and the final are connected on the external box of the amp), so, i can either add a tube pre, or a tube buffer (but the amp is pretty powerful so i don't know)..
another way would be a "tuberizer" device, i am sure there is something that can do the job..

the small satellite speaker are perfect in a home like mine, mom would trash anything that is bigger than a couple liter volume..so...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.