NE5532/4 bass sound in a quad package

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've always liked the bass of the NE5532's, NE5534's, it has a certain slam that others find hard to achieve, but is outdone by many in the mids and highs.
In my application I'm using quad opamps on the bass only in an active xover, and am trying to find that NE5532 bass sound in a quad.
I've tried all the super chips OPA4134, LT1365, AD713 and even a LF347, and non seem to have the bass slam that the NE5532's give.
Is there something out there that is similar to the NE's in the bass in a quad?

Cheers George

George, your observations are my experience too. The NE5532 muddles up the mid while the NE5534 creates a "hole" in the mids, the sound stage almost appears to be on a "concave" canvas; both have good bass slam.

You could use 2 x NE5532s on a plug in board to fit the quad socket.

Try the same with LF353s for mids and highs you will like it.

But once you switch over to discrete designs, like DIY Opamps or JFETs you will realise how much the chips rob off the music.

Yes I've found a few people who have said the best opamp for bass is the NE's.
As for the best opamps in the mids and highs, my experience of all the super opamps is "NONE", passive sounds so much better in the mids and highs, it makes even the best opamps in active xovers for mids and highs sound thin and 2D (sterile), instead of fullbodied and 3D in the passive xover case.
This is why I've gone 24db active on the bass up to 160hz and 12db passive on the ESL's from 160hz >.

Cheers George

"Does the LM833 share the same characteristics too???"

The 833 is supposed to be the National Semiconductor equivalent to the 5532, and the 837 is the quad version.

"Try the same with LF353s for mids and highs you will like it."

I find the LF353 to sound quite distorted, one of my least favorite opamps. The highs seem thin and brittle, and the midrange a bit recessed.

Dan,

Your remarks on the mid/high character of the LF353s are right. However, they sound a little more transparent in the mid/high region than the NE5532.

I have already made observations regarding the improved/enchanced sound gained from discretes which implies that the sound of chips are inferior.

How about the OPA604/2604?? Thet are Very Nice sounding opamps with a Very wide dynamic range so you should have a very clear and accurate Low end as well as Mid and High end.....

They are at least 10 times the Price of a NE5532/5534 but are also much better sounding Opamps....

Cheers

He's looking for a quad. Unfortunately the OPA604/2604 is not available in a quad.

For a crossover, I replaced the 353 with the 2604, the difference was huge. Well worth the money.

I am looking at replacing some LF347 in a DBX crossover. My choices at this point look like the OPA4134 (surface mount, with adaptor wires), or something harder and more expensive.

djk said:
He's looking for a quad. Unfortunately the OPA604/2604 is not available in a quad.

For a crossover, I replaced the 353 with the 2604, the difference was huge. Well worth the money.

I am looking at replacing some LF347 in a DBX crossover. My choices at this point look like the OPA4134 (surface mount, with adaptor wires), or something harder and more expensive.

The OPA4134 were the best of all the opamps I've tried for the mids and highs and their bass was good, but the NE's bass is still tighter and more dynamic. The NE's are bi-polar from input to output where most of the others that better the NE's in the mids and highs are usually fet input.
The OPA4134's run very hot, maybe have lots of class A biased into this opamp, hence it's best sounding opamp to me, but the bass is a little polite typical of class A bass to me.
As a full range opamp it's maybe the best sounding, but no opamp still sounds better.

Cheers George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.