Noisy Motorised volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Noisy Motorised volume control

Hi Guys

One of my integrated's motorised volume control has become excessively noisy with crackles, dropouts and sudden bursts of volume. This has been so for a few weeks and probably due to lack of use. When I noticed the problem, I 'exercised' the pot by rapidly turning it left to right over the full range for a minute or so and this helped a bit, but not any longer.

I have Kontakt 60 contact cleaner. Will this be OK to use here, obviously waiting until it has evaporated before switching on again.

Thanks for advice & best regards to all!

bulgin
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:48 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Contact cleaner may do the job.But if a new one wont break your bank,then it is better to buy a new one.
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:56 AM   #3
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

A drop of sewing machine oil in each variable resistor usually does the trick - the fix lasting anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months.

Seen several say good things about 'Deoxit'. Haven't tried the stuff since it's not available where I live, but if there's some of it where you are, you could give it a try.

Logically it should be a cleaner, followed by a lubricant...

Cheers!

Old 22nd September 2006, 09:02 AM   #4
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Noisy Motorised volume control

Hi Leolabs, clem_o

Thanks a lot guys! It's an Arcam Alpha series integrated which has given sterling reliable service for many years. I'll try a bit of cleaning first (either Deoxit if I can get it) or the Kontakt stuff and if the trouble recurs, I think the old lady deserves a new pot.

Regards & a fine weekend

bulgin
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:02 PM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi bulgin,
Make sure to apply the cleaner to the slip ring. Try to avoid the carbon track. The slip ring is where the noise comes from. The lubricant on the carbon track should be protected if possible. Use a needle dripper. You do not need very much solution to do the job properly.

-Chris
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll try a bit of cleaning first (either Deoxit if I can get it)
If you can get it, Deoxit is good stuff. Caig Laboratories, in general, seems to make good stuff.

... am not an employee.

Hide this!Advertise here!