What Solid State Amps with Output Transformer do you know of?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Onvinyl said:
Hi SunRa,

to my knowledge, the ZV7 works with kind of an 'Anode'-Choke so the output is not galvanically isolated. Do you know of a tweak?
Rüdiger

Add an extra winding and you've got a transformer with isolation. The autoformer should give wider frequency response because you don't have to couple to the extra winding, though I don't know if the difference would be audible in all cases. The transfomer will give you isolation, so you won't fry speakers if your amp fries something.

Sheldon

The earliest Armstong the 400 series and the later 500 series
did not! feature an output transformer, but were a capacitor coupled amp that had no complimentary pairs at all in the power amp section . The first time i saw this was in an early HK
the Later 600 series was a conventional quasie output
There is no Armstrong with either a driver or output transformer
Rodgers did a series with driver transformers but no output
I have all these models in my amp collection !I feel I am 100% on this
regards Trev

And those transformers have a very interesting technology to produce them

Alternate primary and secondary windings, special core shape, special size and magnetic metal.

Those things were developed in the sixties, and now a day beeing used by some good brands.

Those transformers are expensive and are not "that" guilty related the sound quality as i was thinking last year.

I could listen some and really have not that "transformer" sonic.

The most common problem..the loss in deep low bass is not more the problem with transformers.

regards.

Carlos

Hi,
auto former is a type of transformer.
The primary is connected to the secondary.
It saves a lot of wire and weight and cost compared to a similar power (VA), isolated transformer.

An example use for an autoformer would be converting 110Vac to 220Vac to run imported gear on the higher voltage or vice versa.
The output of the mains connected autoformer is still connected to the mains and similar precautions are needed for it's safe use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.