Replacement Transistor 2SC4467? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2006, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement Transistor 2SC4467?

I have an amplifier and found 3 output transistors 2SC4467(NPN) were bad on one channel. I was searching the forum and two post recommended replacement with 2SA1694(PNP). This amp I beleive is a npn/pnp amplifier cause it has three 2SA1694 and three 2C4467 per channel. So if I use a 2SA1694(PNP) it won't work right? Can I replace the bad ones with TIP35A? Is there a cheaper alternative to the 2SC4467? Can I replace everything with TIP35A/TIP36C? or Replace everything with a better or cheaper setup?
2SC4467(NPN) Manufactored by Sanken/Allegromicro hxxp://www.allegromicro.com/skncatlg/pwrxtr/2sc4467.pdf
Old 17th September 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Of course you cannot replace the 2SC4467 with the 2SA1694. Both are so called complementary parts.

You need at least TIP35D / TIP36D.
I would stick with the originals despite the higher price. You won't be sorry in the long run.

Don't forget to find out why the NPN bank got broken. (Driver transistors)

/Hugo
Old 18th September 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check with B&D.

http://www.bdent.com/index.jsp
Old 18th September 2006, 03:36 AM   #4
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Or the BD245D/BD246D.
Old 18th September 2006, 04:02 AM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi confused256,
Netlist has given you valuable advice. You can not blindly replace parts and expect a working amplifier. I would expect more blown parts and more damage. How you replace the parts mechanically is as important as the parts. The proper way to repair this amp would be to install a new matched set of outputs and drivers. I expect more damaged parts further back. It would be wise to get the service manual.

Consider that a manufacturer will always use the least expensive part that will reliably do the job. There is always a reason for using the parts they do. Often they will chose an inferior part. Therefore, don't go backwards.

Now, what make and model amplifier are you working on?
What test equipment do you have?

-Chris
Old 18th September 2006, 04:57 AM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If it is the car amp you showed with the exploded capacitors... you will be lucky if anything is left alive in it. You MUST use the right transistors otherwise you're just going to make it smoke as soon as you switch on.
Old 18th September 2006, 02:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This amplifier is a concept cc-2502l. I assume the speaker leads were shorted over time. Speakers were removed but amp was still hooked up and I found wires shorted when hooking speakers up again after 3 months. This amp is a different one than the one that has the bad caps.
I have a test bench with dummy load, meter, source, speakers, power source, everything but O-Scope(adding to christmas wish list).
I removed the parts, left them out, and the amp powers up with good voltage on the rails now, but no load.
Thanks for that supplier that is a lot better price than what I could find from NTE replacement $6 a peice.
Old 18th September 2006, 03:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Hi confused256,
NTE stuff is junk. Expensive junk. Don't even consider using it.

My original advice stands. Make sure all heatsink surfaces are clean, the insulators are in good condition Use fresh heatsink grease if used.

Remember, if your amp is cheap or disposable, you still need to repair it properly. If you don't you may as well just simply throw it out right now. Think of this as education.

-Chris
Old 19th September 2006, 11:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok I ordered the correct replacement, do I need to replace both or match the new ones with a set? I ordered both parts. I have mostly replaced power supply transistors and all of them(at least pairs, ran low on parts) in the past.
Old 20th September 2006, 02:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi confused256,
You should match the transistors in the channel you are working on. Replace both polarities and the drivers at any rate.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!