Krell Clone on 60V rails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why someone would bridge a class A amplifier that has 60Vdc rails illudes me, but that's his choice.

You misunderstood me, I meant use 30 volt rails and then bridge the 2 amps.

Unless I missed something, doesn't the Krell move into class AB when the class A limit is exceeded?

Sure,

there's still some contraversy overhere on the term class A amplifier.
Most of the big class A amplifiers weren't fully biased, others used circuitry to raise the bias on demand.
Giant amplifiers like Jeff Rowland's Model 7s were measured at 450 watts in 8 ohms but only a small fraction was "true" class A.
A brand like Perreaux made an entire series of amplifiers that did 10% in class A mode.

And with good reason, above 50 watts/8 the dissipation becomes quite an endeavour. I've only managed to go as low as full class A to 3 ohms on the KSA without excessive fan noise, while i was aiming at 2.

30Vdc rails and bridging is a very good combo, with SOA in mind.

The Accuphase P102 had 20Vdc rails, 2SJ76/2SK213 Mosfet drivers are bad for the economy =>

Attachments

• p102 juice.jpg
    p102 juice.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 173
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.