Straight line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I'm constructing a beast of a 7 channel final amp, I am wondering what would be against incorporating a "pre" as well?
It's a Class D amp, so I am aware I will have to use top rate screening for the pre section.

I own a few nice ALPS motorized 6 channel pots, so why not add some input relays, a remote receiver and bingo! a very cheap "pre-amp"?

For what I have read, SACD 5.1 and Stereo Direct on preamps are basically just through links and a pot, aren't they?

The only thing missing AFAI can see will by Dolby 5.1 for films (never use DTS) so I can strip some cheapie s/h receiver (or hunt for the diy circuitry), can't I ?
Benefits seem I can tailor things to my own liking and have the satisfaction all diy'ers must recgnize!

Everytime I read in reviews on expensive processors that the "bypass" modes sound so lovely I can't help thinking "Well they should, since very little circuitry is used".

My current Pre is an Outlaw Audio 990 which works very nicely despite its rather industrial looking fascia and huge dimensions, plus an Arcam P7 multichannel final.

What are your opinions?;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.