help me choose my first amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you guys recommend the easiest amp to build. I don't care how much gain or how it sounds but I would like to require as little parts as possible. I am using this project to help me learn more about electronics and audio components. Links, pics or easy intrustruction would be appreciated but just the name would suffice. Thank you in advance.

The 'chipamp' from AudioSector above is a great first project.

Another fun project (and cheap) is the CMoy headphone amp. It'll fit into an Altoids (TM) container with a 9v battery. Not quite as easy to build since there are no prepackaged kits available, but look at http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ for a tutorial.

You can build these together and use the CMoy as a preamp for the ChipAmp...

Rick

Thanks guys for your input, but I would like to avoid kit's. What I really want to do is probably canabalize a computer speaker system, or an old reciever and remake a better amp. Or find an amp that easier to build than a Cmoy. I would start my learning with a cmoy but if there is something easier why not, a link or name would suffice. btw whats is discrete and IC's? I kinda kno about opamps and tubes but thats about it.w

Small first amp

Like you, I’m new to the field. The first amp I built was using the LM 1875 chip. It’s easily available and cheap, and you can make a small 20 watt amp on universal grid board for $5-10, or less if you have a scrap parts box with the right stuff in it.

Go to the national semiconductor web site http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM1875.html, and you can see the circuit and get the data sheet.

This was a great first project for me since I haven’t fooled around with electronics in 30 years. It works great.

The only down side is that it'll need a power supply since the spec sheet states it'll need a minimum of 16 volts, and it'll need a heat sink. I did run the first one I built off 12 volts and it worked fine.

If you want to go the chipamp route, then google for Nuuk's site decibel dungeon. He has some realy nice basic gainclone circuits, and walktroughs, I'm not shy to admit it is where I started.

I would start with a very basic inverted amp(still my fav chipamp after the Mauro Penasa amp).

A Cmoy is alot more work, but a lot more forgiving when you get it wrong... no blown speakers and chips...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.