Need a good preamp for the LeachAmp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I'm playing with my Denon CD-player and the Leach Amp.
This combination works very good because the CD-player has integrated volume control.

Sometimes I miss the possibility to controll the bass and treble, specially if I play with low volume and sometimes when I listen to old music.

Therefore I want to make a simple and good preamp with inputselector, bass, treble, balance and volume -control.

Is there any who have some experience with these?
http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Audio/t-ctrl.htm
or:
http://sound.westhost.com/project97.htm

I also know about the preamp construct by Mr. Leach himself but it is difficult to get the pots with reverse log thaper.

I will be glad for any tips from you!

Yes, I want to muck it up with bass and treble controls!!!!

If the sounds shall be equal to the sounds in the record studio, you need to play it on the same volume as in the studio, plus: No speakers are identical. But as I say, I want the possibility to boost up the bass when I play with low volume.

I have a Leach clone amp and it sounds great.

Bass and treble controls are useful in some cases but the problem is any preamp with those features will generally not sound so good.

I have tried a Parasound Halo P3 and a Anthem TLP1 (they both have tone controls). Even with the preamp set to source direct (tone bypassed), the sound with these preamps compared to a high end volume-only preamp has a big difference.

Arius said:
I have a Leach clone amp and it sounds great.
I have tried a Parasound Halo P3 and a Anthem TLP1 (they both have tone controls).
Even with the preamp set to source direct (tone bypassed), the sound with these preamps compared to a high end volume-only preamp has a big difference.

May I kindly ask you to elaborate?
Which option do you prefer?
When you say "a high end volume-only preamp" I think you refer to a passive line preamp.
Am I wrong?

Thank you and kind regards,

beppe

Hi Beppe,

I was referring (during my auditions of various preamps) to preamps that are simple but well designed: either passives or makes like Conrad Johnson, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson.

Anyways, please do not let my opinion of how preamps sound in my listening area with my source, cables and speakers. Yours is bound to be different. I strongly encourage you to try them out.

If your speakers are not full range or you have room modes you need to equalize, then tone controls can be helpful. Many folks here don't like it because the tone circuit itself introduces significant distortion. As you can read here in the forum, they try so hard not to use plain potentiometers for the volume function (they use Alps, Nobel, switched attenuators, ICs, etc). Once you have a tone circuit, it's hard to do fancy stuff like dual-mono, multiple regulation, etc (or maybe I should say it's hard to justify going the extreme route).

Let your ears decide for you.

Arius said:
Hi Beppe,

I was referring (during my auditions of various preamps) to preamps that are simple but well designed: either passives or makes like Conrad Johnson, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson.
Anyways, please do not let my opinion of how preamps sound in my listening area with my source, cables and speakers. Yours is bound to be different.
I strongly encourage you to try them out.
If your speakers are not full range or you have room modes you need to equalize, then tone controls can be helpful. Many folks here don't like it because the tone circuit itself introduces significant distortion. As you can read here in the forum, they try so hard not to use plain potentiometers for the volume function (they use Alps, Nobel, switched attenuators, ICs, etc).
Once you have a tone circuit, it's hard to do fancy stuff like dual-mono, multiple regulation, etc (or maybe I should say it's hard to justify going the extreme route).
Let your ears decide for you.

Thank you very much Mr. Arius.
I asked because it is not easy to test equipment in my rig at my home without buying them.
And the preamp you mention are very interesting on the basis of their very high quality/price ratio from what I have read here and there in the web.
Anyway I will follow your advice: I will let my ears decide for me then.

Thank you again and kind regards,

beppe

RogerK..

personally I opt for equipment that has a "tone defeat"---often the best of both worlds. On a fundamental level I prefer no balance or tone controls of any sort, but I do understand the need for some to use them. Good tone controls can be usefull, as well as good parametric equalizers (that's something you could buy or build that may be more usefull, and can be migrated to other systems).

One of the links you provided was to Elliot Sound Products. I have no personal experience with any of those products, but they have recieved very positive reviews here and elsewhere. Alternately you could buy something used that has defeatable tone controls so that you can try it out and see if that's what you really want--if you don't sell it off. If it is, ask if what you have is "good enough" or if you want something better (whether you build or buy).

Unless the audiophile has a very good listening room, almost perfect acoustically,

and very flat speaker systems (very hard to find those) he will need some tone control to correct the tone balance reproduction.

Also the Sound Enginneer, adjusting the mixer during the final playback of multi channels previously recorded, decided the overall tone quality following his own ears.... subjectivelly deciding the proportions of mids and trebles, the tonal ballance...and we may not apreciate completelly his musical taste, related that previously adjusted proportion of instruments in the overall master product.

The bypass control, the defeat button, when pressed after you adjust your tone controls in an adequated form to your ears, taste or environment, will show this need clearly.

If ears could capture flat, if was also easy to have good listening rooms, no manufacturer would include those controls...their existence shows that sometimes they are needed.

those BC109 are old metalic transistors, very low noise units normally used to audio since the seventies, and now a days there are many "cousins" that can do the same work... alike BC547, 548, 549, 550 and others, of course respecting that BC109 is a NPN.

Leach amplifier, if not modified, following Dr. Marshall Leach original schematic, shows some strange loss of deep bass...the low end bass....This Baxandall can be helpfull to correct that if you tweak the capacitors value, to center the action into a lower frequency than 100 hertz.

I could perceive, using non modified feedback line Leach amplifier, that i had losses, bigger than 3 dB around 25 hertz, and this is one of mine apreciated frequencies, reason why i remenber that very well....of course lower frequencies than that had losses too, and even more than the 3db losses around 25 hertz.

Jens Rasmussen, one of our experts in Leach amplifier, suggested, a couple of years ago, modification in the electrolitic condenser value, the one is operating in the feedback line, with the intention to increase the response around those low end frequencies.

Roger K needs makes a lot of sense to me.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.