Transistor biasing techniques - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2006, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transistor biasing techniques

I am new (sort of) to electronics and I am not too keen on transistor biasing yet. So I would like people to post at least a few good biasing techniques. I will start out with the standard common-emitter amplifier:
Attached Images
File Type: png common-emitter.png (30.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 30th August 2006, 10:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have been known to make some dissapointingly pointless and unpopular threads due to the lack of experience that I have to endure. If this is one of them please at least post some good techniques! I want to design a good amp one day and I hope that that will not be so far away so please help me get up to date!
Old 2nd September 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Please... I at least want the schematic for an amp current limiting biasing technique! These don't have to be just one-transistor arangements, that's the point!
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Okay okay, this circuit won't work as you have stated (using it as a common emitter).

==> If we bypass R3 with a capacitor to make the emitter at AC ground (just to make the math simpler), the common emitter's voltage gain is given as gm * Rout

where gm is the transconductance of the transistor, and Rout is the output resistance (seen looking out of the collector).

Your Rout is 0 because the collector sees an AC short circuit to ground through the supply voltage V1. The current that flows out of the collector will go down the V1 path, not the R4 and C2 path, because the V1 path has 0 resistance. Thus your voltage gain is 0.
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay, forgot about the capacitor, I have to store this circuit in my head and it hasn't been used for a while. Thanks for the reply!
...So I need to put a resistor in series with the power source? I have seen that but figured it wasn't necessary. I guess battery's are capacitors so maybe that's why barely any of my circuits work! I'll keep that in mind... Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default semiconductors

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/index.html

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/8.html
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Is this better?
Attached Images
File Type: png common-emitter.png (7.8 KB, 362 views)
Old 2nd September 2006, 08:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks ppcblaster, those are very useful pages.
Old 3rd September 2006, 05:20 AM   #9
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

That looks much better.

To analyse it further vis-a-vis biasing (DC conditions), consider the voltage you'd find at the base. This will be the result of the voltage divider between R1 and R2.

R2
------------ x Vcc (collector supply voltage)
R2+R1

R1 and R2 must be small enough to allow the base to draw enough current without unduly influencing the bias voltage.

From the base voltage, subtract the junction voltage of 0.7V dropped across the base/emitter junction. This leaves the voltage across the emitter resistor (R3). Divide the voltage by the resistance to get the current.

The emitter current is the collector current plus the base current. Since the collector current is much greater than the base current, you could say that IC=IE.

You'll have chosen a desired collector current to suit your device, and a collector resistor to drop maybe half the supply voltage.
Old 3rd September 2006, 09:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have just laerned of something I was almost completely oblivious to from another thread-how to make a voltage/current dividing network. I summed up all the values in an equation, I am wondering if I made it right. Here it is:
(Vs/Ib)=A, (Vb/(Vs/Ib))=B, ((Vs/Ib)-(Vb/( Vs/Ib )))=R1, A=R2
Where:
Vs=supply voltage
Ib=needed base current
Vb=needed base voltage

I wasn't thinking that some current would flow through the base and maybe disrupt the dividing, but I'm not completely sure how this works yet, so please give me feedback. I believe how this works is you have the voltage divider which is two resistors (yeah, of course) in series with the power supply and these are varied as to give a voltage proportional to the supply voltage in their centerpoint. To adjust current, I would think that you would have to increase or decrease the resistors proportionally to each other, right? This is just to get a better understanding even though the equation does it all. Understanding is good! Others may not understand all that technobabble that you spout out when you tell them how to make their stereo sound good but sure helps you understand them when the skill is needed! Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!