Arcam Alpha 9 amp troubleshooting help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Would be grateful for any help...

The listen knob which selects the input (tuner, phono, CD etc) seems to be faulty on my Arcam Alpha 9 amp. It adds static to the sound and sometimes only causes sound to come through one speaker. Only when push and prod it a bit does the sound improve (relatively).. Was wondering if anyone on this forum knows what is causing the problem and whether I can fix it myself. Here's a pic of the offending knob. May be surplus to requirements, but just in case:

arcam9.jpg

[check message length]

This is a very common problem with this particular component unfortunately. I have two Delta 290 amplifiers, which are excellent, but the input controls on both have failed and exhibit the same fault as yours.

This problem can also affect the Alpha 9 amplifier, which is based on the Delta 290.

Some have managed to fix theirs by cleaning with some fluids (isopropyl alcohol?), but you need to open it up. Also, you cannot use, say, switch cleaner recklessly because that may affect the PCB directly below. Also, keep WD40 well away (for anyone who is reading)! :no:

I just use the Tape 2/Processor switch, but only later models had this. :(

Some have had success at resolving this fault, which is because of a single component, but others I have heard from have had to keep cleaning the part every few months. Others, however, have had to put the amp aside because they would have to pay for it to be serviced.

In fairness to ARCAM in the UK, they will pretty much look at an amplifier as a whole – they won’t just fix the switch and then throw the amp back at you. I’ve not used ARCAM’s service in the UK yet, but it’s said to be very good. I obviously do not know what the service is like abroad.

I would really like to get my two serviced and working long term because they are outstanding amplifiers.

Hope this helps. :)

Carl :)

Thanks Carl. From my recent investigations this is what I've found out: The input selector moves via remote control using a motor- increasing the likelihood of it going wrong, I guess that's why the problem is common. Most modern amps esp Japanese ones change selection purely electronically. The route I am considering is replacing the component as Roar mentioned (costs £50 inc VAT from ARCAM) and then getting a skilled chap to install it (another £50)..It's a lot of money but i am considering it because the amp works so well with my B&W DM 602 speakers. Also it's £50 less than getting ARCAM to do the job (although they do a Rolls Royce service) and probably less hassle getting the amp to them in Cambridge If anyone wants the details of who I am using to repair my amp in London I can pass it on they seem pretty good.

P.S anyone recommend another (reasonably priced) amp that goes with B&W BM602 speakers?

Cheers,
sif

JonHarrison said:
sif,

Have you thought about replacing the input selector with one that isn't motorised (should be much cheaper, last longer and be quieter).

Jon

Sorry to interrupt, but I remember reading somewhere about someone fitting a non-motorised one. Someone on eBay was selling one that had a non-motorised control fitted instead.

After all, the “Record Tape 1” control is non-motorised, and I have never had any problems with the non-motorised inputs control on any ARCAM amplifier.

Quick work around solution

You can fix the problem in less than a minute with a phono lead, but you will have to sacrifice both tape loops. Connect "Tape 1 out" to "Tape 2 in" and press the Tape 2 button. You can now use the "Tape 1" switch to select the input you want to listen to (you cannot listen to tape 1 of course).

Unfortunately, the faulty "listen" switch effectively becomes the Tape2 "record selection" switch, so the static now appears on recordings made from "Tape 2 out". Personally, the only analogue recordings I make are from CDs with copy control. The alpha 8 CD player has two sets of analogue outputs. I connect one set to the amp and the other to the record in of my mini disc player, exactly for this purpose.

Hope this stops anyone throwing away a good amplifier. I need mine to last a few more years yet.

hi
i read with interest the posts @ the arcam alpha 9 amp and how to bypass faulty/ dirty selector switches.
when i tried your method of connecting tape 1 and 2 , the amp wa sclearly not happy about it and refused to switch on ,staying in amber protection mode. disconnecting the tape inputs and the amp fired up. why was this?
next i tried the other method of using the tape 2 /processor button but when that was depressed the amp emitted a loud thump through the speakers so i didnt continue with that either.
can anyone suggest what is going on here?

Although this thread is a little old, +1 for Al-Toulouse's advice.
I have an Arcam Alpha 9, which has been crackling through the listening selector for some time. I tried contact cleaner & that improved things for a little while. I was just about to give up & start looking for another amp, when I came across this forum post. I only use my amp to listen to CD, Tuner or Aux ( my TV output) so its a perfect fix!! Thank you so much Al-Toulouse.

Chris J

Sorry to be thick

Very keen to utilise Al Toulouse's solution but if I connect one phono lead to one of the tape in/out terminals it works but only generates a very low volume and if I connect both sets of terminals (ie with two phono leads) the volume is at maximum and can't be turned down.

Any help much appreciated.

My 9c pre-amp had been in storage for about 14 years so wasn't aware if this issue until I set it up again this week. The phono lead trick works but there is a very noticeable loss in sound quality. I bought a can of WD Contact Cleaner available from Screwfix etc. Opened the case up (6 screws) sprayed into the switch casing, there's a few little holes. I rotated the knob and sprayed some more.
It now works perfectly again and only took a few minutes.
WD40 Fast Drying Contact Cleaner 250ml: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome

Hi! This solution was always known to work but only for a period of time, then the problem was said to return worse than ever.

How has it held up during the time that has passed since you did it?

I was also interested in the drop in audio quality as I did not experience this when I bypassed the switch. Maybe the other switch needs cleaning as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.