Death Of Zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again,
Thought i better make a new topic as i am now runnign the death of zen at higher rail voltages, etc, hopefully more people will read the thread.
I am currently runnign the amplifier from about 34V supply.. and i have managed to get it idling at 1.8A.. This is running an 8Ohm Load at the moment (both my speakers in series.. need to get some new speakers.. mabey try a couple of cheap dual cone car drivers open baffle for a laugh..) Should i be trying for higher Idle current do you think?
The heatsinks i am useing are fan cooled and are MORE than enough with the fans running, infact they run nice and cool with the fans running, but without the fans they heat up pretty fast and i have problems with thermal runaway.. So i want a Circuit that Either senses the current and shuts down the amp or senses the sink temp and shuts down the amp... just incase the fans fail.. any idea's?
Also I have a question about transformer sizeing.. I am currently running it from 2 x 80Va toroids.. each with two 12V secondaries wired in series and then both toroids wired in parallell.. This is only temporary and i am wondering rounghly what size toroid i should buy for the amplifier? should i run each channel from an individual toroid or run them both from a single toroid what would be best? i still have my meter in series with the amplifier and have never seen it drawing more than 1.85A :S is this normal? even playing my bass test CD's at max volume im willing to risk with these speakers..
Thanks in advance,
OWen

Thanks for the link,
The temperature switches on there have given me an idea.. One of my other hobbies is building phase change coolers for computer processors.. I Have a few really neat temperature controllers that I may well be able to set up to shut the power to the amplifier off after it reaches a certain temperature.. The good thing about doing it this way is it would have a temperature readout of the heatsink temperature.. i have one particular controller in mind that has inputs for two sensors so i could monitor both channels individually..

I have lowered the Idle current a little.. its at 1.6A now.. i found that it sounds better like this..

Cheers,
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.