Linearizing diodes in amp circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings.
Are linearizing diodes ever used to linearize the transfer characteristic of transistors in audio amps? I haven't seen any examples in the schematics. Google indicates that the technique is used in RF amps and diode lasers, but no examples in audio amps that I can find. Is there any role for them? what are the difficulties in using the technique? Are there any casualties among you from attempts to make it work? I look forward to your views with interest.

It is LM13600

Is the linearizing diode is D2 and D3? What are they doing there? What's the mechanism to obtain the "linearizing"? Won't the DC offset annoyed?

Attachments

• lm13600.jpg
    lm13600.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 438
>Where to put diode in the transistor? You got example drawing?

I haven't sketched any examples yet. I will study the examples referenced in the reply from member lumanauw before spending time on it. I am putting off working on this idea in case there are some compelling reasons to avoid it.

>Where to put diode in the transistor? You got example drawing?

I expect I would use them to linearize the input transistors which give voltage gain. Small signal transistors; FETs and tubes all seem to have a non linear transfer characteristic and so there might be a role for linearizing diodes. This would be an alternative to high open loop gain with feedback to achieve linearity.

The first think that comes to my mind is the baxendall diode as used inthe Linsey Hood 75 watt design ! This is used to match the transfer characteristics between the quasi-complimentary output stage transistors !
A similar technique is also used in the old Phase linear 400/700 power amps
Regards Trev

diodegain.png

gain of 4

note I(Q2) nonlinearity

nonlinear diode connected transistor load increases singnal to distortion

58% THD Ie(Q2) - what you would get with a linear Resistor load

vs 0.023% THD V(out)

looks good, but not too practical - the output impedance also swings over a large nonlinear range - even a 10K load causes V(out) THD to jump up 8%

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.