Inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

I'm about to start building my first amplifier but I have been caught on what the inductor(choke) is?

I'm building the Jaycar Studio Series 350 amp and need a 6.8uH inductance.

Would somebody be able to give me a link or tell me how to make one.

And the only inductor / choke I can find in Jaycar with 6.8uH is a RF choke, I'm sure this won't work but could somebody please tell me the difference between a choke and inductor.

Thanks alot

Hi Tumler
The instructions for making it are in the Silicon Chip article, February 2004, page 23.
If you can't get hold of it, it's 23.5 turns of 1mm enamelled copper wire wound on a 13mm inside diameter plastic bobbin.
Wrap in insulating tape to hold winding in place.

Incidentally, depending on where you got the circuit from, there may be an error. Check the 470uF cap on the -70 rail adjacent to F2. The original schematic has this reversed and could be an explosion risk.

You should also check the notes & errata here:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_104440/article.html

Cheers
Rob

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Neither the inductor nor turns per layer is critical - it is only specified to a half-turn to give the lead spread to fit the PCB holes when the original coil is placed flat on the PCB as illustrated. If using 1mm enamelled wire, the number of turns will give about 10 turns per layer. However, there are dozens of formulae and free coil calculator programs on the web - why not use available information? Pronine Electronics Design - Multilayer Air Core Inductor Calculator

For interest, the original coil was specified for winding on obsolete P26/16 ferrite potcore bobbins, like this: http://electron-pv.com/PDFs/Ferrite/pot_p_26_16.pdf
Compare with kit amplifier pic here: Silicon Chip Online - Studio 350 Power Amplifier Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.