matched transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

For this amplifier I'm building, I need 4 2SJ162s and 4 2SK1058 output transistors. I can get these for about $40, or I can get these as "quad matched pairs" for $88.
My question is it worth the extra cash for them to be matched? I don't know enough about amplifiers to realise how much difference there could possible be using individual transistors, some of which may vary compared to others.

Many thanks,
Alex

Hi,
I hope you mean $40 (£25) for the set of eight.
If you are only buying 4pair you will have little opportunity to match.
I bought 16pair for 4 projects and was left with one (out of the 32) that had a significant Vds mismatch. The current in this FET is measurably greater than it's partners. I suspect it runs at a higher temperature, both Tc and Tj. I hope I cannot hear it.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes I do mean $40 for eight ($88 for a set of eight that are all matched). The online site i was looking at to get the matched 4 pairs is http://www.tech-diy.com/LATFET.htm . They also stock other matched transistors that i need too.

It's hard to find a source for these chips, there are a few people selling them on ebay at £4 each, but I had a bad feeling these might be mixed and matched and badly matched.

If i went for the $40 for eight, would it be worth me getting an extra pair just incase one had a significant Vds mismatch like you encountered? It would be handy to have a spare pair for any failures I suppose.

Lastly, I'm assuming these are pretty good output transistors if you bought 16 pairs of them :)

Many thanks,
Andy

Buy 8, and if there's anything wrong with them harass this guy =>

www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1925

Jack has pretty neat measuring gear, he's bound to deliver you nicely matched specimens.
(don't mind his odd avatar, he's from New Jersey)
Idea : you could ask Jack if he's able/willing to match the Renesas/Hitachi devices at a specified drain current.

On the other hand, if someone who's likely to have designed more amplifier circuits than any other tells you not to bother ?
In church you have to sit on your knees and wait for lightning to strike as a sign. Overhere, you just yank the Pass chain at the right moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.