Is this transformer good for power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
May be OK if using bridged into 2-4 ohms but overkill otherwise. Probably need higher voltages to get higher power into 8 ohms. Search for an amplifier firstly, then look to design the powersupply given your drive/load requirements. Another thing to watch out for is non-vacuum impregnated xfrmers can be audibly noisy.

Hi,
I have seen this seller's data before.
The regulation when driving 1kVA seems very high (suspiciously high).
I queried it with the Seller but got no sensible response.

I think the transformer would do audio duty, just don't expect to get 600watts out of the amplifier.

Singa,
how did you work out (or not work out) the DC rail voltage?

The maximum power using this transformer is;

Available DC voltage = 46v - 5% regulation - 1v (diode bridge) * 1.414 = +/- 60v DC.

Even a great DC filtering section and solid state amplifier with transistor output stages will lose around 5 volts at full power, so the maximum voltage swing will be 55 volts.

55v * 0.707 = 38.8vrms = 190 watts into 8 ohms. Dynamic power will greater.

And this I believe is the at best result.

My $0.02

Cheers
Q

Hi,
you could use Quasi's predictions to guess at how many channels you could run off the one transformer.

I think you could run three channels into 8ohms each, or just about two channels into 4ohms each.
Into 4ohms the supply rails will sag but this can be partially compensated by increasing the smoothing capacitor bank up from the usual 2mF to 3mF per Apk of output current/channel to 3mF to 4mF/Apk/channel.

I seriously recommend a separate rectifier and smoothing bank to each channel fed from the common pair of secondary windings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.