Leach or Krell for studio monitoring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I will build amplifier to drive my 120w KRK ST8 monitors for studio monitoring. I already have boards for Leach 4.5. Krell also seems interesting amp to do, but i don't have any experience with it, same as with Leach.
I have experiences in building preamps, compressors, amps..Mostly studio gear. My budget for parts is limited to around 150 euros for each channel. I can get enclosure and heat sinks for free, and very low price on tthe ransformers.
What do you suggest? Krell or Leach? Maybe P101?
Thanks in advance!
Miha

I was thinking of P101, but no one can really tell me how it is compared to leach. Another interesting amp is Boraomega's Studio, but there is only some short reviews, nothing detailed. I talked to it's constructor and he say's it's very good for my needs.
I just mailed to Still4given about the differenced between P101 and Leach. Maybe he will tell me more.
Thanks for your replys. They are ver helpful. It's so difficult to decide what is good if i can't actually hear the amps.
Miha

Hi Rot,
look back at the Leach and Krell clone threads (almost 1000 posts) and you'll find Still's reviews on all three. His later conclusions seem to indicate that his views were changing towards the Krell and away from the 101 with the Leach in there shooting for the top in some respects. I think at the time he had not optimised the PSUs for any of the amps. Things may have moved on since.

Hi Guys,

Sorry it's been so long since I've been here. My son got me back into RC airplanes and my workshop has been full of plane projects ever since. I really need to get things cleared out so I can finish some of my DIY audio projects. I have a Twisted XBOSOZ about 90% finished and really want to get that done.

As far as these three amps. I would have to give the nod to the Leach for studio monitors. Mine has a regulated front-end and I'm not sure how much that effects the sound but I believe it is more Hifi than the P101. I still think the P101 is a really good sounding amp, just not quite as clear as the Leach. The Krell makes everything sound good so IMO it is not as good for a monitor amp. For studio work you need an amp that will make bad recordings sound bad. The Krell doesn't do that very well.

The Symasym is another amp I would use for monitors. That amp is crystal clear with great tight bass response and very clear highs. It is my favorite amp to listen to unless the music is of the harsh nature. The Krell would be my choice in that case.

I wouldn't be afraid to mix using the Symasym, especially on nearfields. If you really need the music to be loud, then the Leach would be better.

Hope this helps,

Blessings, Terry

Ok, thanks for taking time..I'm sure you all know how difficult is chooisng the amplifier, specially if you want as analitic as it can be. I decided to make the Leach. Reviews are very good, and it's not so expensive. Krell is also interesting, but beside it's ability to make bad records sound good, i also don't like the heat in control room.

Well I have built a few. :D

PittsSpecial001.jpg

thedge5.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DPS.jpg

DogFighter.jpg

CombatStang.jpg

ComBat.jpg

hotsleftfront.jpg

There are about 10 more but I didn't have any pics here in my lap top.

Most of the ones shown here are combat planes. You tie a 30' length of crepe paper streamer to the tail of each plane and then go up and try to cut the other guy's streamer off. A lot of fun.

I did build a Super amp but never got it working. I still have it all together in hopes of someday figuring out what I did wrong. I had hopes that Jens Rassmunsen was going to design a board for the Super amp like he did for the Low TIM.

Acenovelty has built a few of the Super amps and he swears by the sound.

Blessings, Terry

still4given said:

I did build a Super amp but never got it working. I still have it all together in hopes of someday figuring out what I did wrong. I had hopes that Jens Rassmunsen was going to design a board for the Super amp like he did for the Low TIM.

Acenovelty has built a few of the Super amps and he swears by the sound.

Blessings, Terry

I did a layout for a super-amp with TO3 outputs based on my working Leach. Don't know if I'll build it any time soon as the heatsinks (ABL 350AB1500B 0.5K/W two per channel) are £££ but you can have the Gerbers if you want to get a pair made.

I might redo it for a Conrad heatsink.

Had you considered making a helicopter? my mate at work has a tiny one. It's horrible and fascinating to watch, hovering in front of your face like a pair of knives...

still4given said:
Well I have built a few. :D
Most of the ones shown here are combat planes. You tie a 30' length of crepe paper streamer to the tail of each plane and then go up and try to cut the other guy's streamer off. A lot of fun.

Air Combat! Sounds like my idea of fun. Cutting a streamer means you're about in guns position - a "Real Man's" fight.

Ever try "guns in the face"? Head to head bring him close aboard. Can be scary with 1500 knots closure and 20 ' between jets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.