Line Level, Balanced Voltage Level...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys!

This seems like a silly question, but I cannot find anything about the actual specifications of Line Level Voltages for audio.

I've always used 700mV peak as a standard. (Some car audio head units drive 1.4V to drive amps harder). Has anyone seen a difinitive listing of what line level voltages are supposed to be? Also, it would be nice to find specs. on balanced line levels and all the other 'standard' audio voltages...

(I know you guys are going to have tons of good info!) :)

-Dan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Line level

I'm not aware of any specific list that manufacturers agree to.

In pro audio often they use 1mW in 600 Ohms which I think is .7V.

For consumer use I have seen anything from 100mV on some old analog tuners up to 4V coming out of Wadia DACs. Most CD players put out about 2V.

I don't think this is a problem because volume controls will normally have enough leeway to take up the extra level if necessary. One way to define this is to ensure that your power amp can be driven to max output by the lowest output source you will use. But even then, when do you ever drive your power amp to max output, except for measurements?

Jan Didden

Re: Line level

janneman said:

One way to define this is to ensure that your power amp can be driven to max output by the lowest output source you will use. But even then, when do you ever drive your power amp to max output, except for measurements?

Jan Didden

It's really a question of reducing gain. The idea is to use as little amplification as possible to achieve maximum voltage swings. Why amplify, attenuate, and amplify again?

The idea is to amplify and attenuate as little as possible. Adjusting the gain on feedback in the amp is also possible, but I'd prefer to not change gains in the closed loop (Since I'm shooting for a specific loop response).

-Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.