Blackgate C-type or Nichicon UPW/UHE for Input Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to space limitation, I can only have electrolytic caps for input caps (4.7uf and up) in my amp. The Blackgate C-type seems to be the best choice, but I don't want to pay the $5 below-$25-order-fee most venders charge. Nichicon's UPW or UHE can be had for cheap at Mouser. How do they compare to the C-type? Thanks!

Given a fixed input impedance and my desire to minimize bass-roll, a larger value is better, am I right? In my case, the input impedance is 22k ohm and the original cap value is 4.7uf. Expanding the value to 10uf would benefit the sound without much (if any?) side-effects, am I right? Thanks!

Please correct my if I am wrong.

I think I read this in one of Randy Slones books, it said something like having the roll-off frequency 10 decades below your lowest frequency expected to minimize the distortion caused by the capacitor.

So if you expect 16 Hz for a low frequency, your roll-off frequency would be .16 Hz. Which comes to a capacitor size of 45 uf.

This is probably not required from all the schematics I have seen. They usually have something like 4.7 to 10 uf and similar resistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.