Onix OA21 + SOAP Compatibility

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Onix OA21. It is an early version (E), and has a rectangular plastic SOAP connector.

I know that Tony Brady posts on this forum and I guess he could answer my question.

Can I use the SOAP 2 PSU with the Mk1 OA21? I notice that the SOAP 2 has a round, DIN style connector. is there any compatibility issues?

Thanks.

i have soap2, oa24 pre and oa601 power amp

i don't know if they are compatible but soap2 has two outputs - one that is non-regulated (only filtrated) +/-36V and second output that is "24V regulated" - i assume that this one might be +/-24V regulated but i am not sure on that one.....i can provide you with the pictures of the back of the soap2 but in a few days...(my camera is not here at the moment)....

this combo is to be sold - the sooner the better......:) (i need money - new appartement and those things)....:)
if you want me to send you something please provide me with your email address so that i can send bigger pictures
regards and i hope it helped......:)

Sparkle, the regulated 24v output is for the Onix tuner I believe. The +-36v output (un-regulated) is for the OA21/other Onix amps.

I am fairly sure that the OA21 Mk1 uses 36v like the OA21S.

I think it was purely the connector that was changed.

I have seen the back of the SOAP 2, so I will not be needing any pics.

Brad.

"regulated 24V" is also used for my OA24 preamplifier power supply......i don't know about the tuner psu - +/-36V is used (i believe) for OA401 power amp and maybe other higher current components because it is not regulated (it has only 2*10.000uF filtration) and "24V regulated" i believe to be only "+" using (i think) 2 LM317 in to3 package - it was a long time since i have opened the box - i know for sure that there is on LM317 in there and for the other one i am not sure - i can check if you need if the other one is LM317 or LM337.......

picture from internals of SOAP2

Attachments

• p9210007.jpg
    p9210007.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 613
Can you please inform your Onix price Sparkle, and please, post

Some images if possible to observe it`s conservation.

Inform if have scratches or oxide, the year when the unit was manufactured, the output BGTs numbers and how is the unit sonics compared with JLH for instance.

Do you have service manual or schematic to provide?

Had your unit be serviced?... are there replaced parts inside?

Do you have some testing data about it?... those Hi Fidelity magazines tests.

Internal images may be very interesting.

I hope not bothering you Mr. Sparkle, with so many questions.

In my country place, Brazil Northeast, there`s a tradition to ask for discount prices....so...if your tradition is different, and turn offended with price discussion just tell me.

Or, adapt yourself to that reality Mr.... include 10 percent in your price to give me the psychological need of 10 percent discount.

X + 10% will be almost the same price as your increased price reduced in 10 percent.... in the reality, hehe, you will be loosing 1 percent.

I will be happy to see all the pictures you produce, so, post some images here and the others, in excess, send to my mail box please.

nanabrother@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

some images....
Dear Carlos - i do not have enough data related this amp because this company do not exist any more (unfortunatelly) ..... no schematic, no user or service manual - pitty
the output transistors are SM3159 and SM3160 - don't know the manufacturer......
how it is sounding - well, you can imagine - the problematic part is to use good interconnect cable between preamplifier and amplifier (i was using Kimber Cable Silver Streak) - with a good cable this baby is sounding a lot better than everything that you can find for the normal price arround - this combo is a monster that will never bite you - it is alike a good friend that you can count on - very reliable and very good made.....has also good parts in it that will last long....
i don't know when it is made but from the output transistor markings i assume 1994-95......
it is 70W/8ohm, 140W/4ohm, 240W (or 260W not sure)/2ohm.......
the price is arround 700Euro's more or less.....

Attachments

• oa24_back_resize_resize.jpg
    oa24_back_resize_resize.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 450
I have anything considered very good in the commercial range

Within your power limits to compare with others i have here.

All i have are many Sound Systems, the Kits assembled (the are wonderfull) and something too much modern compared with some designs i have assembled here.

I have to find something with the age of your equipment, to be a sample related good unit of this period of time.

This way i will see if the designer used the best possible capabilities of some decade amplifier design.

But i will not pay 700 Euros!.... what do you think in 500 inside Escambo method?

Go direct to me, otherwise this thread will be moved.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.