Help me identify this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to put in an order for some parts to repair an older hitachi
amp. On the preamp section is a little diode that is physically broken.
I'm having a hard time cross referencing it. The board is marked CR-12
(control rectifier 12?).

It is a barrel shaped axial-lead pellet (2.5mm x 3.5mm) of white ceramic with a brown stripe on one end. It is marked N 1 6 followed by the hitachi symbol. I'm not well versed in electronics, but I've seen hundreds of these thing on boards, yet I cannot find a similar image online. None of the parts suppliers can cross ref it. Hitachi cannot help me. A local "electronics guy" doesn't know what to make of N 1 6.

Anyone know what common diode I can safely replace this with?

Diodes are usually called out as CR or D numbers on schematics.

D is obvious - diode

CR is an old term that hangs on by tradition - it means Crystal Rectifier.

In your case, what does the diode do in the circuit. In the preamp it is unlikely to be a tunnel diode or something, so it is either a rectifier or blocking device, or it is a zener.

This may be the only image available of the little culprit on the web.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But this is exactly what it looks like. Component without leads is 2.5mm x 3.5mm. Mine is off-white with a brown band at the cathode end.

There are half a dozen more of them on the board, all hitachi, with varying numbers (values?) on them.

This is really starting to worry me.

I measured .60v drop across the diode.
Someone suggested this is in the range
of a common silicon switching diode.

But they also suggested that in matching
it I pay attention to the peak inverse voltage,
peak fwd current, and Trr (reverse recovery time)
/ switching time.

Good lord. This is troublesome little
devil.

"There are half a dozen more of them on the board, all hitachi, with varying numbers (values?) on them. "

These could be zener diodes, with differing voltages. Remember, most zener diodes have a forward voltage drop of 0.7 V, it is the reverse voltage that is the diode's 'Voltage'

Richard

It is a model 710a. Serial 11133. Could not find a date of manufacture.
It is labeled made in Japan. Here is a Japanese web page referring to it. It is a babelfish xlation, so it makes little sense, but the photos are exactly as mine.

http://translate.google.com/transla...10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-US

And here is a link to some photos I uploaded along with a better explanation of what I'm dealing with.

http://www.dutchforce.com/~eforum/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=8097&st=0#entry63062

Thank you very much for checking on this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.