Welborne Labs MINIAMP kit, any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Built the Tube Hybrid Which Is Similar

I built the tube hybrid from Welborne which is the same concept as the unit you are considering and is also based on a Borberly design. I've had a little problem with DC offset drift, but they sound fantastic. I have them direct coupled so I adjust the DC offset once per week. I have them mounted in a Mark Levinson JC2 preamp chassis along with a VSPS phono stage. The boards are very high quality and I had no problems with assembly. Ron Welborne also offers good technical support.

Thanks for the response,

I am glad to hear you are happy with the results.

I am still searching for a chassis to use, I will use the switching etc and replace the power supply and use the Welborne boards.

If anyone has a Rotel or Adcom pre-amp that is not working I would be interested in it.

Thanks

Kevinlee

I ended up with four external supplies in two Hammond cases, all from Welborne. I use separate supplies for each channel, which results in two filament supplies and two circuit supplies. Channel separation is phenominal. The Levinson chassis already had two XLR connectors, so I simply replaced those with the proper ones for connecting the power supplies - no drilling. Using the existing selector and wiring saved a lot of time. I replaced the potentiometer as the wirewound pot that came with the Levinson was noisy.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kevin

Did you actually put the Miniamp together? I'm thinking about building this too. It looks pretty simple to put together especially since I probably won't use a selector and use it strictly as a volume control.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.