Marantz MA500/U service manual please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
If you have the manual for the Marantz model 500, consider yourself blessed. Study the manual and schematic. Pay attention to the notes. This amplifier well ahead of it's time and can be a very good performer today.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi lumanauw,
Now that's a tricky question! :)

Most 500's you will see could use a strip and rebuild (a proper one). It's a 32 year old amplifier at the most optimistic. It could be up to 37 years old now. If you follow the manual, all the transistors will be matched and the adjustments will be properly followed. There are three DC offset adjustments per channel as I recall. Two are interactive.

The 300DC is my current main amplifier (or an Eico HF-87 that misbehaved last time I tried it). That amplifier needs to be properly gone over as well, being about 25 years old now.

Assuming they are both working properly, the 300DC might have the edge for sound quality. It certainly can't dump power like the 500 can. I could be happy with either one as they both can outperform many other amplifiers. I have had both in my system, but many years apart and in different rooms. It is hard to draw a fair comparison.

I would dearly like to try out the new, current Marantz amplifiers. They are just wonderful to look at.

-Chris

Hi, Anatech,

No, I'm not playing tricks on you :D I just never heard both of them.
I have both schematics (who could be sending me that? :D), both are really good designs.
The 300DC is diamond output stage, the 500 is interesting, it is 2 loop of inverting sections, making total non-inverting.
Both designs doesn't look 20 or 40 years old to my eyes :D They are fresh good looking designs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi lumanauw,
I meant that the question you asked was difficult to answer. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I have found that early Marantz designs were generally well ahead of their time. I didn't fully appreciate that at the time (young technician), but I did know they were built very, very well.

I think both amplifiers are very interesting designs. They have both withstood the test of time. One thing I love about the 300DC is the use of a regulator for each channel for the voltage amp sections. The value of this is lost on many people.

The Philips years were a complete waste of a brand name.

-Chris

MA500 Monoblock Amps

BurnedFingers,

I saw that you seem to have experience with these units... I have several that are triggering the protection circuit at way too low of a level... I am unable to find any input level adjustment on these, but my sony receiver (STA-2ES) can drive the same speakers to over twice the volume w/o clipping... I am wondering if this is a common failing with this model?

I am driving these from the pre-amp out of the Sony reciever and they sound great till a passage with any significant bass hits (80hz or below) then they clip like mad even at moderate volume levels...

Feel free to email me on this... If you still have it, I would love to get the service manual on these amps.

thanks,

--matt g.

Matt,

There is another thread in which I mentioned the capacitors that need to be changed in order to regain the original performance again. Yes, I have repaired too many of this animal and I know its flaws.

If you still need a schematic email me and I will send you the info.

Check out this thread

Marantz MA500, only 50Hz output?

40 years ahead of it's time.... modern alike others you find now a days

Look at this power amplifier driver...and made by Nippon Electric Company (NEC)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• interesting driver.gif
    interesting driver.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 225
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.