Power Follower 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
barossi is offline barossi  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hamburg area
Default Power Follower 99

Hi,
did anyone build the Power Follower 99 from Ciuffoli?
How does it sound?

And could i buy PCB's for this Amp?




Greetings Barossi

Power Follower
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
If there is no pcb available I will produce it.

This is a very good circuit, it is used by many people in the world.

The amplifier is also used for loudspeakers review by Daniel Zamberlan

http://www.videohifi.com/magazine/nu...dac-up-pcm1794

http://www.videohifi.com/magazine/nu...robox-mod.-109

Last edited by audiodesign; 22nd October 2013 at 02:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
If there is no pcb available I will produce it.

This is a very good circuit, it is used by many people in the world.

The amplifier is also used for loudspeakers review by Daniel Zamberlan

HiFi Werkstatt Hoer-Wege DAC-UP-PCM1794 ? VideoHiFi

Manger Zerobox Mod. 109 ? VideoHiFi
If youre the author of the super linear headphone amp, how about a nice modern and compact PCB for that circuit. A parts upgrade like the Opamp would be in order as well.

Very few people here seem to know that this circuit is excellent, I built that circuit on veroboard as experiment, with the consequence that it sent nearly all my other headphone amps into retirement, including very expensive tube ones. Just kept a tubey for the show of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Default Super Linear Headphone Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by manso View Post
If youre the author of the super linear headphone amp, how about a nice modern and compact PCB for that circuit. A parts upgrade like the Opamp would be in order as well.

Very few people here seem to know that this circuit is excellent, I built that circuit on veroboard as experiment, with the consequence that it sent nearly all my other headphone amps into retirement, including very expensive tube ones. Just kept a tubey for the show of it.
Yes, I am the author of the Super Linear Headphone Amplifier

the Headphone amplifier

the best components to build this project should be these:

THAT Corporation 300-series Low-Noise Matched Transistor Array ICs

but these are not cheap and these are not easy to find
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
I wouldn't build this, it's a waste of time...

Distortion, damping and general performance will be dreadful.
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Distortion, damping and general performance will be dreadful.
Can you tell from those qualities how it sound? Have you heard Andrea's circuit? Do you really think he is not a clever person?

You might be surprised how good lots of 'bad' circuits sound - JLH 10W Class A, any single ended triode for example.

Why? Is THD critical to the sound quality?

Your comment is shallow, and shows you need to think carefully about the technology and how sound quality is assessed.

Hugh
__________________
Aspen Amplifiers P/L (Australia)
www.aksaonline.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Can you tell from those qualities how it sound? Have you heard Andrea's circuit? Do you really think he is not a clever person?

You might be surprised how good lots of 'bad' circuits sound - JLH 10W Class A, any single ended triode for example.

Why? Is THD critical to the sound quality?

Your comment is shallow, and shows you need to think carefully about the technology and how sound quality is assessed.

Hugh
Oh please come on. It really is tiring. If you want distortion/colour then you'll never find 'the sound' it's a goose chase - forget it. If you want to actually make great sounding kit and not waste time and money on circuits like these and pointless low powered class a amps then actually do some research and learn for yourself. Hi Fi manufacturers are off limits. Use your brain for once.
__________________
I thought about it once, but then thought again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
ostripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Albany , NY (smallbany)
" a waste of time " ... ??

Wifey want's a headphone amp built into the "new" amp. I was looking at this circuit .....
then someone comes along and ruins my day with the above statement.

Guess I'll run it through the simulator anyhow , can't let one opinion ruin all
the fun.

PS- reverse engineered vintage Japanese amp's are VERY musical ! I salute
the engineers.

OS
__________________
Mongrel website , always current and updated :
http://www.fidelityforce.com/ostripper
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:16 AM   #9
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Aha, a student, you clearly think you know everything.......

I hope you are paying your own bills!

Hugh
__________________
Aspen Amplifiers P/L (Australia)
www.aksaonline.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
ostripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Albany , NY (smallbany)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Aha, a student, you clearly think you know everything.......

I hope you are paying your own bills!

Hugh
Not everything , but I've built a few.

I pay the bills of others... as well !

As far as "musical distortion" , I have both the uber low THD "badgers"
and the "low-fi" sansui - I can switch "A/B" .... they have different
character.

This headphone amp I have fathomed .... (below) Only .02% 20khz with
NO NFB ! I move fast.

Ha! - might run the core of this amp into a triple OPS - fun, fun, fun....

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamp1.jpg (127.8 KB, 477 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc headphone.asc (8.3 KB, 25 views)
__________________
Mongrel website , always current and updated :
http://www.fidelityforce.com/ostripper
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power follower 99c Vs Zen SIMONLEE Pass Labs 32 9th March 2013 10:00 AM
Better Mosfets for Power Follower drdagor Solid State 7 29th September 2006 07:11 AM
How about a Power Follower with an IPT? mtlin12 Solid State 16 4th March 2006 02:04 PM
power follower renjiish Pass Labs 2 19th February 2005 03:48 PM
power follower 99 help renjiish Solid State 3 20th November 2004 09:30 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2