Most suitable amps for bi-amped OB spkrs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Most suitable amps for bi-amped OB spkrs

I am about to embark on an open-baffle loudspeaker project with 70s vintage 6 1/2 inch - 8" FR augmented by a 12" bass driver per channel--which may end up in a sealed enclosure if bass too light. First experiment on sheet of ply or MDF, later panels 38mm thick solid wood baffle with side panels. I plan on bi-amping using an active XO (adjustable between 80-120 Hz) and two stereo amps. I have the choice of several amps for bass and mid/treble use and seek advice on best combination. Drivers are reasonably efficient so power of amps should not be a great concern.
I appreciate that bass requires proportionally more power for same SPL etc, but Bass is a bonus, I am mainly after very clear midrange and treble. I have no objection to super-tweeter over 10kHz if necessary. Ruler-flat response is second to openness, clarity in midrange and "punch" or attack in midbass that I have found typical of single-driver enclosures.

Amp choices
Amp1 Luxman L-230 duobeta (15W Class A -> 63W Class AB)
Amp 2 Luxman L-30 (30?W class AB?)
Amp 3 Various chip amps ranging from 5 - 20W/channel.
Amp 4 Old New Zealand made ~10W valve/tube amp-OK sound
Amp 5 Old Pioneer valve/tube receiver ~15W/channel

I was thinking L-30 up to 100Hz, L-230 or tube amp over100Hz, mainly because of the VERY nice class A sound of L-230.

Comments/suggestions please.
Old 6th July 2006, 05:29 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi ozziozzi,
Good choice with the L-230. It's a pretty decent amplifier. Can your experiment with these or do you need to buy them? If you can keep them for a while it would be nice to play with them to see.

I have found many tube amps do not have very clear highs, some do (I have a couple). The Luxman amplifiers tend to sound better than many others. The L-230 does have a nice clear top end. Relaxing.

-Chris
Old 9th July 2006, 08:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Most suitable amps for bi-amped OB spkrs

I have L-230, L-30 and other amps I mentioned. i have just been auditioning a 12" driver (freestanding ie: nobox) with the L-230 and it sounds good bass and usable midrange a bit of "shout" in higher midrange especially if vol turned up. It probably only needs a tweeter XO at maybe 4KHz to fill out the top end. I haven't made any FR measurements yet. I always audition drivers in free air first at low power to see how they sound. i think SS amps certainly control drivers better than tube amps with output transformers--or am I talking thru my hat? i think that a tube amp on the top end could be sweet tho.

Thanks for your comments.

Ozzi
Old 9th July 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi ozziozzi,
Al I can say is that an enclosure changes everything. I use both tube and solid state amps and love both types if they are good.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!