Are these fake?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
jaycee said:
According to On Semi themselves, the date code on the device means it's a fake. To quote Rod's site

"This device does not match our packaging and marking specifications. It is not ON Semi's or Motorola's device, because there is the year of production: 2000. ON Semi had take over the portfolio from Motorola in 1998. Also Motorola is not producing any semiconductors from this date, only whole electrical appliances."

The date code suggests manufacture in 2000.

Attached below is a photo of a genuine pair from old stock that I bought from Motorola several years ago. The date code suggests they were made in 1999.
Can you provide a link to where you got that quote from? The claim alone that Motorola hasn't been producing any seminonductors from 1998 onwards isn't true to the best of my knowledge. They were still selling and manufacturing Motorolla stamped PLL IC's and RF power transistors after ONSemi came onto the scene.

Attachments

• mot.jpg
    mot.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 519
The real question here is why some who frequent the board here are still supporting resellers who are ripping us (the hobbyist and builders and repairers) off.

Especially when Digikey and Farnell (and other reputable resellers) sell worldwide.

Buy from a trustworthy seller, and you don't have to start posts that begin, 'Are these fake?'

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Glenn,
The real question here is why some who frequent the board here are still supporting resellers who are ripping us (the hobbyist and builders and repairers) off.
Precisely! Couldn't have said it better myself!

I can see when you need something straight away, but for normal stock purchases you've got to be out of your mind taking a risk like that. You risk hours of labour and your reputation.

I'm very happy to report that a shop notorious for selling fakes went out of business in Mississauga a couple years ago. This means that buying from reputable vendors will work.

-Chris

re. faked sanken

Ha ha,
I have used those sanken 2sc2922 fake transistors from China . Our sales offer 2 kind one is $0.7 a piece which is fail at a current of 2A. the other cost $1.5 which is nice. I have push it to the SOA at 4a/ rail 50V with symasym design. I prefer this one to genuine 2SC5200. They works fine, my amp did not distort, sound great.

Hi PhongVuTuan,

I didn't bother trying them, I already suspect they're fake because of the cheap price, but the store owner insist that they're original ! weird~~~ , so I just buy a pair, test their beta (one measure 65 and another 165???), and whack them open.

you said you tried 2 type , is the 1.5 USD real sanken?

Hartono

re. faked sanken

nope, they are no way real, they are from China or HongKong china. I know for sure but try and found it very nice. The price is not very cheap at all 1.5x2=$3 for a faked pair compared to $4 genuine Toshiba. This trans have nothing wrong with SOA. high gain, and good sonic.

So how does a trader get hold of fake components?
Do the counterfeiters just phone around the shops offering VERY cheap stock?
How do the larger places get stung?
Do these devices just go round and round the system until we get them?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

regards,
Martin:)

re. fake

I have talked with some retailers and they told that: chinese manufactures can produce transistors at any price that mean we can fix the price and make order accordingly. That's why we have 2 kind of faked trans. The cheaper will fail immediately when you put it near the limit. I can see that the one you have pictured is the cheaper. The better one is used as spare part for amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.