Amp Suggestions Wanted! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2002, 06:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Amp Suggestions Wanted!

Hi All!,
After looking in, around, through,and over all of the amps here and around what I've found on the net, I'm asking for Your suggestions on choosing a few Amps to build. I will need a few diferent amps to use for around the house and would like all of Your input(Pun intended!) on My choice(s).

Please keep in mind that I'm not wanting to spend the GNP of a third world country on these! I'm looking for A-A/B class amps(I Think!) here. I also need Amps that I'm not having to find parts from 5-10 years ago! I can't count the number of good designs that are out on the net, that have parts made from unubtainium!(Not around anymore or BIG$$$)

I Need:

20-25w amp for powering Bass Shakers. Mono, I might use several(One each shaker?)

100-150w Amp for left, right, center, and one each for the rear left and right. (I'm looking at the (Super) leach amp, but it's only 120w max. and I am open to others.)

150'ish watt sub amp. I might just buy this, but I would like to build it if I can.

I know several of You are building class A amps and I know that They are the best for top sound, but I'm not looking to do total audiophile here. Just good sound. As I said I'll look at any and all suggestions.

Thanks! I'm learning so much here My brain hurts!(Not that at 40 with a wife and 2 kids, I have that much brain left!)

Tall Shadow
(Mark Ray)
Old 2nd December 2002, 07:06 PM   #2
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Two stereo gainclones and three mono. Little cost and total audiophile (sorry, I know you don't want it): problem solved.

Use google for a bunch of usefull sites.

Greeto's
Nielsio
Old 2nd December 2002, 10:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check out Rod Elliott's Web Site (ESP), especially project 3a.
Old 3rd December 2002, 03:12 AM   #4
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
P3a and maybe p68 for sub duty
Old 3rd December 2002, 04:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default It's the Trifecta

Rodís P3A amp will deliver 100w/ch and can be built for $125 a channel.
You can bridge 2 channels easily for 200w/ch into an 8 ohm load.
$1000 buys you 600 watts up front and 200 watts for the rears.
It may not be the most cutting edge audiophile amp in town,
but if you tell your friends it is I bet they will believe you.
You might even believe it yourself.
Old 3rd December 2002, 12:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone!
Keep them comming!!!

Tall Shadow
Old 3rd December 2002, 12:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nielsio
Two stereo gainclones and three mono. Little cost and total audiophile (sorry, I know you don't want it): problem solved.

Use google for a bunch of usefull sites.

Greeto's
Nielsio
I like the gainclone idea, but I need more watts! (More Power!!) I wonder if You could combine gainclones with valves or SS?!?

Tall Shadow
Old 3rd December 2002, 12:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: It's the Trifecta

Quote:
Originally posted by Equilibrium
Rodís P3A amp will deliver 100w/ch and can be built for $125 a channel.
You can bridge 2 channels easily for 200w/ch into an 8 ohm load.
$1000 buys you 600 watts up front and 200 watts for the rears.
It may not be the most cutting edge audiophile amp in town,
but if you tell your friends it is I bet they will believe you.
You might even believe it yourself.
I like to look of Rod's amps, I just havent talked to anyone using them. I also wonder about buying all the PCB's and components for a product from "Down Under". I've seen a few designs that have parts that are hard to come by. I havent checked this with Rod's amps, but I will look in to it now.

Thanks!
Tall Shadow
Old 3rd December 2002, 01:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Austin
I'm putting together a very similar setup to yours. For my bass shakers I am making the P19. I'll run 2 shakers in series on each channel, which will give each shaker the right amount of power. For subwoofer and mains I am making a 3 channel Leach amp. For surrounds and center I am making a 4 channel P3A. The Leach is almost done and the P3A is just getting started. If this is one of your first projects, I recommend the P3A over the Leach. If you get circuit boards from professor Leach, there are way too many wires to deal with IMO. I think 21 wires from each board!

Don't worry about getting parts for Rod's amps. I am putting together a parts list for 4 P3A channels right now and have had no problem finding parts. Almost everything can be found at digikey, except the transistors. Newark carries all of them though. The shipping of the boards was also fast from down under! I recommend ebay for heatsinks when you start shopping for parts. They usually have a good selection.

Good Luck,

Austin
Old 3rd December 2002, 01:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Austin!,
The electronics isn't a problem, I've been making a living working on electronics for over 22 years now. I liked the Leach amp because it is a "Tried & Tested" project. I have yet to hear any of the listed amps (Including the Leach) but I've worked with & repaired most of the classic PA power amps (Crown, Carver, Phase linear, Heil, Ect.). I just thought it would be nice to DIY My Home Theater system Amps. I know that it'd be less $$, but I'm after the IDIMS (I Did It My Self) factor.

Thanks Again!
Tall Shadow

Hide this!Advertise here!