Need help with calculations please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, I didn't search. I would not know how to term the search.

I've been looking at this circuit:

http://www.mhennessy.f9.co.uk/preamp/analogue.htm

Specifically the headphone section.

My goal is to make an headphone amp for a guitar amplifier.
The problem I've got is that my headphones are 8 ohms.
To make matters worse I'd like to parallel them to make the circuit less complicated i.e. using only one op-amp channel.

Thus I have a load of 4 ohms.

This circuit looks to me like it should be used for high-impedance headphones. I say this because of the small-signal transistors used and the 47 ohm resistor at the output.

I don't want values (would be nice), but I'd like it if somebody can walk me through the steps to calculate the values.

I won't mind editing the circuit a bit, but would like to keep it simple.

I was planning on using power transistors for the output, something like 2SD525 and 2SB595, which I've got. MJE29955/3055 is also an option(?).

Thanks
Wynand

You could just drop in more powerful transistors such as BD139/BD140 and reduce the 47 ohms to something smaller, maybe 4.7 ohms or even include a switch to allow bypassing to cater for different taste. The rails could be reduced to 9V each or maybe a little lower.

I have designed a headphone driver that is similar to this design, but features some notable improvements IMO. PCB layout is available if you are interested. Just not got round to putting it on my website yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.