Pre-Amp circuit for newbie - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2006, 06:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Pre-Amp circuit for newbie

Hi guys,
new to DIY and really excited about it. Just finished a C-Moy pocket Amplifier for my headphones which worked like a charm, and until I installed a DC power jack instead of a 9V batt., it had zero circuit noise. Woooooo!

Anyway, I'm looking to put together my first DIY system from scratch. This means building a pre-amp and two speaker cabs. Does anyone know of any good beginner's plans and/or instructions? I'm not sure I want to buy a kit as the added expense seems sort of pointless if there's a totally free plan or tutorial for a simple beginner's pre-amp. Also, is this all I'll need to get started? Just some speakers and my pre-amp? Will I need some crossovers?

Any help would be appreciated!

"Danger"Russ
Old 24th June 2006, 06:49 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Unless you already have one, you will want a power amp for driving the speakers. The pre-amp simply functions as a source select (usually) and a volume control stage.
Old 25th June 2006, 07:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

so here's a question. Do I need both a pre-amp and a power amp? Or could I just have a power amp?
Old 25th June 2006, 09:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to phreeky82
you really only need a pre-amp if the input source signal isn't strong enough (i.e. a microphone).

if you're driving it from a CD player/tuner/headphone socket etc then it'll generally be plenty loud.
Old 25th June 2006, 10:08 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
go to ESP site for lots and lots and lots of background and detailed information with working projects. It'll take you weeks to digest all that is of interest.

http://sound.westhost.com
Old 25th June 2006, 02:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks guys! ESP seems like a wealth of info. Any additional suggestions out there?

Hide this!Advertise here!