How to house a JFET phono pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in addition to an HP461 I also purchased an HP465a -- this is a low noise pre dating from the 1960's -- i purchase these mainly for the chasis and the superb HP construction since i haven't purchased one yet which worked correctly -- but for $4.00 you can't beat it.

the first HP465 i purchased was turned into a low noise pre for measuring noise in regulators, diodes etc.

for those who have been following the various MC Phono Pre threads, or have seen Erno's designs on his website or in AudioXpress the HP465's offer a tantalizingly high power supply voltage to put into place those 2SK170/2SJ74 moving coil pre-preamps.

while the front panel in the pic below looks "rough" -- you can use a flexible mylar label and PowerPoint, Photoshop or MicroSoft Paint to make a front panel which will look like new -- here's the gestation of the idea.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FET(a) and olives anyone?

Sure I can beat that price. This box was even cheaper. I didn't even have to throw away what was in it, I used it in my salad. :)

Attachments

• sifoniosamp1.jpg
    sifoniosamp1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,069
jackinnj said:
Being you're from Sweden (Eastern Minnesota) i's surprised that you don't use a Surströmming tin

I would probably never be able to get the bad smell out of it. Besides, I agree with the greeks that FET(a) and olives go well together (the box is housing a pot and a JFET buffer). :)

More seriously, those greek olive tins have a very nice shape for housing electronics, and they come in different sizes. I must admit however that the metalwork was harder than I had realized without proper tools, since the material is quite thin. Anyway, this was just meant as a cheap housing for a prototype, but the point of posting it was to show that one can make a very cheap but still quite decent housing for prototypes and other stuff where it may not matter so much what it looks like (test equipment maybe). Some of my friends think it looks great, though. :)

P.S. I've never heard of Sweden being referred to as Eastern Minnesota, but why not? I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people of swedish origin there than there are swedes in Sweden. Although not quite Minnesota, it is said that Chicago was the third largest city of Sweden in the 1920's (counting only swedes, of course).

I've come to using Clementine boxes for prototyping. Easy to work with, easy to access and make changes when you screw something up and best of all they taste great. I've even found that if you tap the particle board bottom, machine screws will even hold. They aren't the most solid things, but for prototyping they are great. Of course only when they are in season.:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.