amplifier bias drifting - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2006, 03:15 PM   #21
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the diode packs connected to the heatsinks are for temperature compensation of the output stage bias. That sounds OK.

The current in the front end is causing your problem.
10mA at +-85V is causing a dissipation of 850mW in each transistor. That will make them HOT, even with a small sink fitted.

The 0.95V across 100r indicates 9.5mA @ -75V (712mW)

John's running at just above body temp seems to indicate a much lower Iq probably less than 4mA.

John,
could you measure the bias voltages on the resistors on the collectors of the LTP and feeding the base of the CCS i.e. Vr612 Vr613?
Also Vr616 & Vr617?
Old 25th June 2006, 04:00 PM   #22
thejohn is online now thejohn  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew... wait for me to put the lid back on!
Ok, so my amp is obviously biased a bit lower than craigs.
Voltages across R12 & R13 - 1.4v (should be 1.6)
Voltages agross R16 & R17 - 0.85v (should be 0.95)
So about 630mw for TR605 and Tr606 with my 74v Rail, more or less.
The problem with our widely varying mains voltage is that one could bias the amp and 10 min later it can be 10% high or low...

Any thoughts on running off a decent size true sin wave online ups?
Old 25th June 2006, 04:20 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Another thought - I wonder if my heatsinks on TR605 / 606 are the same as Craigs. Black, aluminium U-chanels, about 15 x 12 x 30mm. Bolt on, not clip on. Quite heavy guage - 1.6mm. I guess maybe 20deg/w? maybe a little less?
Old 25th June 2006, 04:39 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Aha!
Thats the difference then my heatsinks are about 10x10x27mm and are barely a mm thick. They seem to just clip on with a u- shape over the top of the transistor to hold the back and front on with a bit of force.

I rechecked the measurements and each transistor is dissipating 7xxmW (cant quite remember now) so all is ok, just they probably would like a bigger heatsink.

I am much less worried about this amp now, i think a set of heftier heatsinks will solve the heat worries for me.
The amp measures reassuringly well everywhere else.

Thanks
Craig
Old 25th June 2006, 05:36 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ah good, hopefully thats all there is to it...
Old 25th June 2006, 05:53 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

My heatsinks...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG] [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 25th June 2006, 08:55 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yes, those are definatly going to keep them cooler than the ones in my lab 600, cheers for the pics.
I'll whack in some new heatsinks ASAP.

I had a bit of a listen to the amp tonight, i was pretty impressed with the way it sounded. I agree with what you found, there is a lot of detail and i found i heard bits in the music i didnt know where there before. Such as the sound of the guitar pick tapping on the string, also where the vocals could get harsh (especially through my speakers) they seem to sound more levelled out and natural.
Also the bass has taken a new level in my system, now it is very controlled and has a deeper undertone to it that i have never heard on my music before.

Regards
Craig
Old 26th June 2006, 02:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Not bad for a '70s vintage transistor amp!!
Old 26th June 2006, 07:19 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

No, not bad at all...
I replaced the heatsinks today (scary to be ripping transistors out of a fully working amp) but it worked out ok .

The heatsinks are hot, but easily within comfort to touch now and the bias readings are much more stable.
Excellent!

Thanks again to everyone
Craig
Old 8th July 2006, 09:28 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

I decided to take AndrewT's advice on upping the supply capacitance for this amp. There wasnt any room inside to add additional capacitors and the replacement ones from electronics suppliers (47/56/68/100000uf) at 100V were too large to fit in the case .
So i took 4x Philips 10000uf 100V caps i had spare and wired them externally via very thick wires.

The amp now has a much more respectable 76000uf of capacitance (i also replaced the bridge rectifier from a 25amp to a 35 amp one to be safe).

havent had oppertunity to crank it up to listen for improvements yet, but theres bound to be at high levels.

Everyone likes pictures...

Regards
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1140.jpg (77.0 KB, 195 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!