Quad 405 Mk 1 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2006, 06:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I'am in the process of revising the 405-1 schamatic with all Ludwig and Snook's modifications. I can post it here if you like
Old 24th June 2006, 09:30 PM   #12
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Quad 405

Hello All & Current Dumper

My congratulations (and amusement!) at your original choice for a 'rack mount handle' here at diyaudio.com -clap, clap and a hearty Heheeheee!

If you could find the time, I would appreciate very much a posting of this schematic as the Quad impressed me until now and I'm trying to find a little space to fit it somewhere to be permanently hooked up.

I visited a friend today and found a little orange and gold tuner tuned to some jazz this afternoon. Anyway, he told me about another 405/44 setup for sale locally (Cape Town) for the equivalent of UKP450.- , far too much.

At the moment, I'm running it with a Kenwood Basic CI pre, which is my little workhorse (also using it with my Leak Stereo 20) and this partnership sounds really good.

Thanks for your kind offer.

Nice weekend to all

bulgin
Old 25th June 2006, 04:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Quad 405 MK 1 - MAINS AC ON/OFF

Hi Wise Men

I've hooked-up the Quad on my overpopulated equipment rack which is parked against a wall. It had to go in sideways, next to my Leak Stereo 20 and the mains lead goes to an ac 220V socket extender, where all my other things are also plugged-in. This extender powers whatever amp I'm using, plus the pre-amp, and is also hidden in an inaccessible place.

The ac socket extender will never be overloaded as only two items are drawing current at a time and there is enough space between the equipment for dissipating heat.

It is however inconvenient to reach the ac extender to switch off the Quad although I know many prefer to leave amps powered-up permanently.

I am however a bit uneasy about this (leaving it on) and am thinking about fitting a suitable rocker/toggle switch to the Quad's back panel so I can turn off the mains.

I can work carefully and electrically safe. Does anyone have any opinions re this, please?

Other ideas are that I could possibly fit an ac inline switch to the powercord or does anyone know if a switched IEC terminated powercord is made?

Cheers

bulgin
Old 25th June 2006, 05:08 PM   #14
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
there is a switched version of the IEC mains input socket. But I am fairly sure it will need a larger cutout than the standard socket.
Old 25th June 2006, 06:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Quad 405 MK 1 - MAINS AC ON/OFF

Thanks Andrew

I'll check it out tomorrow at an electrical wholesaler but I'll think twice if the cutout will have be made bigger.

I have fitted these IEC sockets to many things like my pre's and quite a few tt's as they are so convenient and allow better quality powercords but I usually avoid hacking stuff unless the end result looks like 'the factory made it so'.

Regards

bulgin

Hide this!Advertise here!