Magic Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am repairing an old Marantz reciever. I have no gain coming out of the rt ch
1 st preamp xistor. I have determined that when I swap the cap from the other chanel (coming off the emiter47uf@50 v) I have gain. Here is the voodo. I replaced the cap and viola no gain. I replaced the same cap in the other ch with a new one -no gain. I only get gain when I use the original old raty cap. Any thoughts. I made certain the polarity is corect

conforzaled

?

The model is 2230 the cap in question is c 754. The circuit will lose gain in either ch unless the original cap is in circuit. I replaced the xistor in one ch but no difference, same same. I checked the print and it definately calls for a 47uf@50. I checked the polarity and it is as in the print.

Thanks
clueless

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tenderland,
That cap is in a low impedance position. It would have to be awfully leaky to cause a problem, it is in your feedback loop as a coupling cap. If it were to open, your gain should go up.

Look at R754 and the foil around that area. I would install new caps in both positions if you don't have a cap checker and troubleshoot from there. I'm wondering if the high gain is a fault condition.

C753 and it's mate on the other channel should be checked. I have more trouble with the small 1 uF types. You may be further ahead to just simply replace all the electrolytic caps in the amplifier boards to be honest with you.

-Chris

victory

Thanks all who contributed to this thread.
Thanks Anatech and teemuk whos resonse put me on the corect path. Anatech , right on .The old cap created a fault condition. With all new caps gain ON THE OUTPUT is equal. I am a bit embarased I didnt figure it out.

Thanks again
Jeff
:spin:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL
More than once!

There always seems to be something else. Mind you, I very rarely get units that someone else hasn't worked on first.

How about getting all the expensive parts and the 5 ¢ part is always backordered? No replacement. That's a killer when you are doing warranty service.

-Chris

Boy... can I relate to that! I used to have an auto shop. One of our first questions was usually, "What did you have fixed last?".

Somebody would need new wheel bearings after a brake job... because some knothead used an impact wrench on the adjusting nut... out of cotter pins I guess.

:(

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
It really doesn't matter what industry you are in, does it?

Along the same vein, getting good techs. The customer always pays for the moron who works on their stuff. I am looking for another good auto mechanic in my area. Mine moved to a better paying dealership in a galaxy far, far away. :bawling:

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.