McCormack DNA-500 one channel out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The right channel seems to have gone out on my McCormack DNA-500 amp this afternoon. There's only a smidgen of distortion coming out of the right speaker and the heatsinks stay cold on the right side vs the left side being warm to the touch. Any advice other than sending it back to the manufacturer? This really bites as the amp is only 2 months old. (I bought it new.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kaboom,
Did you kill it, or did it die of it's own problems?

To keep warranty (if you bought it from a proper dealer) you must use the warranty network. If you open it and mess with it, it's your problem from now on.

If you killed it, it must be repaired in the warranty network to regain warranty coverage even though you are paying for the repair.

If you got it via other methods, it's a question of whether you want it repaired properly or not. So send it in, or take it to a good service guy.

I am assuming you are not a technician or we would have more information.

-Chris

The amp died on its own. I simply turned it on, heard some crackling noises out of the right speaker and that was it. It worked fine the last time I played it about a week ago. There is still distortion that will come out of the right speaker, but nothing that resembles music.

Unfortunately, I'm not a technician, but I have a friend who knows which end of the soldering iron is hot. Thought maybe there was something he could check out. Guess I might as well start looking for the box.

sj

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tony,
Sorry, I don't have them. There are times when an amplifier is newly out where documentaton lags by 6 months or so. I've had to make do with engineering diagrams more than once in my life. ;) At least those who sent them did that at least. (& I was doing warranty!) I have no connection with McCormack. I am speaking of other brands, years ago.

Hi kaboom,
Guess I might as well start looking for the box.
I know you want it working right now, but that is the best course of action. Don't even pop the cover, they can tell.

If you have ever had to explain to a customer that their product is not under warranty due to work done by a friend, you would understand my position. It's worse when the customer claims ignorance and you can prove that's not the case. At that point, I don't even give the guy a break for being honest.

Never lie to your service guy. It does not pay! ;)

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tony,
I don't know. I've not had one apart, however .... I did find a presentation on it by the designer himself. I've no sound since the last XP update (thanks microsloppy!), so here is the link : http://www.mccormackaudio.com/dna500.html click on the bottom. There are three formats. You can tell me if there is anything interesting.

If there are any older schematics out there, I'm sure he won't stray too far without making noise about it.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.