vintage mosfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ingemar said:
Hi there all!A couple of days i bought my self a musical fidelity A370.The problem i have is that i need some new transistors with the numbers as follows:2SJ83 and 2SK226 the brand is Hitachi,do anybody knows where i can them????

2SK1058 and 2SJ162 are direct replacements
dunno from top of my head if pin placement is the same

hehe-you'll need to make hole between existing ones

Hi,
the pin placement is completely different between To3 and To147.

I think Exicon make a To3 version. Reputed to cost a fortune.

If you can accomodate To147 on your sinks then try to hard wire them back into the PCB.
You should be able to use one of the existing tapped holes to secure the new FETs and even feed the wires back through the emitter hole. If you do pass wires through the old holes take all three wires from one FET through one hole.

2SK1058, 2SJ162 are not Toshiba, but Hitachi. Toshibas are not lateral fets and have a positive tempco, requiring bias compensation. Hitachis do not.
The pinout for the hitachi replacement pair is identical since it is the exact same silicon inside the package, just like in the previous TO3 versions.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I hold right now one K226 in hand;his cousin is somewhere in drawer;
what I say are words from one amp constructor from England,who use them in his amps yrs ago.
drop in replacement (check the oil, 1$ gass .......-check bias -fer sure ;) )

if you are curious-Magnum is mentioned brand

2sk226 - GSD
2sk1058 - GSD
source is ECA tdv disc

Choke,

i'm to blame for the confusion. Much talk, No think.

2SJ201/2SC1530 are the Toshiba Mosfets, with GDS pinning and they're not laterals.
2SJ161/2SK1057 and 2SJ162/2SK1058 are Hitachi Mosfets, laterals with GSD pinning like the 2SJ83/2SK227-2SJ82/2SK226
(Already told Ingemar in an earlier email, so i forgot to post the Hitachi part)

2SJ100 and 2SK344 are replacements for the 2SJ83/2SK226, but also obsolete for years. Mark5 in England still had some for close to 30 GBP the pair.

The Hitachi 2SJ161/2SK1057-2SJ162/2SK1058 should be the easiest, direct and cheapest replacement.

ilimzn,
do you know why 2SJ83 and 2SK226 were used as complementaries, instead of 2SK227 ?

Attachments

• 2sk344.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 140
jacco vermeulen said:

ilimzn,
do you know why 2SJ83 and 2SK226 were used as complementaries, instead of 2SK227?

No, indeed I have last seen a pair perhaps 16 years ago and I am not sure which combination was used. The one datasheet I have for the 2SK226 mentions 2SJ83 as a complement. I suppose it was just a peculiarity of the JEIA numbering system.

it should be possible to use J162/K1058 using longer screws, and cutting out two small pieces of epoxy PCB material, about the size of the original transistors, stack them on top of each other, then drill holes on them where the mounting holes on the originals are, and use them as 'clamps' to hold on the replacements. In fact, you may even get better thermal contact that way. The replacements should fit between the original mounting holes. You could also use some aluminium or brass or steel stock to make the clamps, or even the original dead transistors but I think that last option would just be too morbid :D

Ingemar,

with reference to your earlier question:

you've probably noticed by now that the boards of the P270 and A370 are virtually identical. Mr Michaelson enjoys cost-cutting, he's done that with a number of MF designs.

An option might be to transfer the powersupply of the P270 to the A370 case, and use 8 Mosfets of the side of the A370 that is not damaged to make 10-device P270 channels.

With the rail voltages of the P270, the heatsinks of the A370 and 10 Hitachi devices per channel, you'd have a serious class A contender.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.