Braun A1 amp questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2002, 08:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Braun A1 amp questions

Does anyone of you know the Braun A1 amplifier ? I bought this one because it wasn't expensive and clearly a restoration case.
It attracted me at first sight because of the unconventional looks of the case. I learnt that it is from around 1980. Built quality is fine and the power transistors are 2SA1169/ 2SC2773 ( Ft = 20 MHz ! quite impressive for a time that 2N3055 was king ). I am sure it wasn't built in Germany, it's all Japanese inside. Maybe the design is German ?

Since the supply caps are visually not in best shape I only tested it a short time to see if it functions. It does fortunately. The plastic covers on the upper side of the caps have come up which generally is not a good sign. All DC voltages are OK and offset at the output is only a few mV. Plan is to change all the caps.

I wonder if someone can tell me more about this amp specifically about the sound quality. It is wired for 220 V but voltages in the Netherlands have gone up to 230 V and sometimes a little higher. There is a possibility of wiring it to 240 V which I would like to do.
There are even new labels attached in the case for indicating the wired voltage on the outside ! Maybe one of you even has a schematic for me. Wishful thinking
Old 1st December 2002, 07:41 AM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Smile Braun Amp

Hi Jean-Paul,
It is originally a Panasonic design in a Braun styled case.
Maybe you can get a schematic from the Dutch Braun importer. Digging from my memory it is/was Amroh.
Old 1st December 2002, 09:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Elso,

I will contact Amroh. Panasonic did their best on this one I think.

Jean-Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!