help with Harman Kardon 330A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just found an old HK 330A in a garage sale and hooked it up to my speakers ( I tried both A & B speaker systems). As I turn the receiver dial, I see the levels responding in the dial on the left, but there's no sound from the speakers. I'm a total novice - what could be the problem? Any help with this amp much appreciated, since it looks and feels to be in good condition. Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baria,
Normally Harmon Kardon does not use a speaker relay system. Have a look at the rear panel for main in - pre out jacks. There should be a loop there for each channel. An RCA patch cord will work fine.

Also check that you do not have a tape monitor switch pushed in.

Let us know. I don't happen to have a diagram for it, so you may need one.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll take another look and let you know. By the way, I meant that I had tried wiring the two speaker wires (left and ground, right and ground) first in speaker system A and then in speaker system B. The wires go straight from the speaker to the screws in the back panel. I made sure the screws were well tightened over bare wire.

Chris, thanks! I patched the main amp and pre-amp ins and outs and it works. Nice sound. Another question: I lose sound on and off in one or both speakers when I turn the volume knob. I've heard people talk about blowing air around the knob to clean the connections - do I need to take the front panel off to do that? If it's an usoveable problem, I can lve with it, but would like to fix it if possible.
Thanks again.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi baria,
You need to use proper control cleaner. Not the stuff Radio Shack sells, or tuner cleaner.

De-Ox-Id, or Deoxid (different) are about the best. You only want to clean the metal slip ring. If you use a spray can, the smallest amount you can that clears the problem. More is not better!

You have to get behind the front panel. Take the top and / or bottom covers off to gain access. There is a slot on the bottom of the control for each channel. The terminals come out there.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.