Polarized Capacitor on schematic question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making the voltage regulator schematic that is shown below. I see that the .1uF cap isnt polarized but the 1uf cap is. i wasnt able to find any polarized(well any cap that has a + and - shown on the cap casing). i did find a cap that was 1uF but doenst seen to be polarized like this schematic needs, will this work anyways with a nonpolarized 1uF cap?

I can, if needed, put some caps in series that are polarized that will have a total of 1uf(or close to it) but i dont really want to do that.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i am using this voltage reglator to step down my 13.4 volt supply of my cars system to step it down to 9v. i am using a heatsink that i took off my broken xbox motherboard...its plenty big enough, also has a fan on it

Hi,
I'm a bit late but your comment
some caps in series that are polarized that will have a total of 1uf
will not work.

Resistors in series add up using ordinary arithmetic.
Capacitors in parallel add up, again using ordinary arithmetic.

Resistors in parallel use a formula to determine their effective resistance. It just happens that the same formula is used to calculate the effective capacitance for capacitors in series.

Here it is
Reffective=R1*R2/(R1+R2) for R1//R2
Ceffective =C1*C2/(C1+C2) for C1+C2 in series.

If more than two resistors in parallel or more than two capacitors in series are used then the formula becomes
Reffective=1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3+...)
Ceffective=1/(1/C1+1/C2+1/C3+...)
BTW. these last two formulae apply to pairs as well, but they take a little longer to calculate.

Finally you can use a higher voltage capacitor wherever a lower voltage is specified. Similarly you can use a non polarised capacitor wherever a polarised is specified. However there is a caveat:- the characteristics of the different types are very different. The designer may have selected a particular characteristic of the type specified to ensure correct operation of the circuit.

So he puts two 2uf caps back to back in series to get 1uf. Why wouldn't that work?

thats what i was thinking. i know the formulas for adding up the total measurement of a series of components. i was saying to put the 2 caps in series that will have the overall total of 1uF.

I have had to do this a LOT of times. Just as radio shack gave me a bad set of resistors(the 220ohm ones i got didnt even let any current flow through them) so i took my old alarm clock apart to get 2-100ohm resistors, and used 2-15ohm resistors all in series to get 230ohms, close enough to 240 from what i see. I am also a car audio installer so i deal with wiring subs and speakers in different ways to put different loads on an amp every day. on other projects i have had to put a few 100uF caps wired in parallel to have a total of 200uF. Anyways, its allready built and it works fine now; its perfect for what i need it for. I made it to power a LM386 based microphone amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.