Preamp finished but it wont play..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
I just finished this preamp.
http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm

And now for the big question.. It wont play.
The problem is not in the psu. That delivers +/- 15V as expected.
Should I take off all potmeters and switches and put them on one by one or how would you errortest it?
When I've had power on it and I turn it off, the threshold LED turns on for ½ sec as the caps are discharging I suppose.
When I put in a pair of headphones and turn up the gain I hear a click-like sound when the meter is about 2/3 turned up.. P1 and P7 are both in middle position. As well are all meters.
Any ideas or could the problem be anywhere?
Thanks

First check the voltage on all + parts of the transistors, and the both supplies of the op-amp.
If it doesn´t help, then I would suggest making a signal-probe. As it is a bass preamp, you could take a tape player and connect it to the input. Then connect a jack-jack wire to some combo, make the shield grounded to your circuit, and start touching the signal part of the ciruit with the tip of the jack, and listen where the signal ends.

kubeek said:
First check the voltage on all + parts of the transistors, and the both supplies of the op-amp.
If it doesn´t help, then I would suggest making a signal-probe. As it is a bass preamp, you could take a tape player and connect it to the input. Then connect a jack-jack wire to some combo, make the shield grounded to your circuit, and start touching the signal part of the ciruit with the tip of the jack, and listen where the signal ends.

What do u mean by +parts?
Do you mean measureing the gate on the fets? And in that case how should i measure? What should i look for.

I just tested the opamps.. they get +/- 15V on the correct legs.
Im a beginner so bare with me :)
Thank you

about this signalcheck.. Could I plug in a mp3 player, and then use a pair of headphones, grounding the common and one of the speakers and using the tip on the headphonejack to probe on my pcb? That way just listen how "far" the signal gets in the path.
Or how would you do it?
Thanks

XXLPeanut said:
about this signalcheck.. Could I plug in a mp3 player, and then use a pair of headphones, grounding the common and one of the speakers and using the tip on the headphonejack to probe on my pcb? That way just listen how "far" the signal gets in the path.
Or how would you do it?
Thanks

I did this and I could only get a signal until i hit the first resistor... after this I coudnt find any signal anywhere.
Any ideas?

kubeek said:
Mp3 is ok, but I think headphones don´t have high enough impedance. You should use something with amplification to check the signal - like mike input on computer´s sound card + headphones or speakers set to listen to the mike.

Oh and a great thing would be oscilloscope, if you have.

Ill take another look in an hour or so.. I have a pair of beyer dt990 2x600 ohm headphones.

And yeah.. a scope would be sweet... Read: have none hehe.

600ohms is not enough, even thoug it is far better than 16 or 32.
Check the signal, and also have a look at cold joints and check if the transistors are connected right - D goes to D, G to G and S to S :)

Then the Q2 and Q3 gate voltages seem a bit suspicious. Try if G2 changes with changing the P2, and the G3 should be 3.5V, and not 2V, but this could be due to high values of R23 and R24.

kubeek said:
600ohms is not enough, even thoug it is far better than 16 or 32.
Check the signal, and also have a look at cold joints and check if the transistors are connected right - D goes to D, G to G and S to S :)

Then the Q2 and Q3 gate voltages seem a bit suspicious. Try if G2 changes with changing the P2, and the G3 should be 3.5V, and not 2V, but this could be due to high values of R23 and R24.

Hehe.. all t's are connected right. G2 changes between 0 when turned up and and 5.2 V when turned down when i change P2 and I still get 1,99V on G3.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi XXLPeanut,
Here is your PCB layout .....

You should hear something with 600 ohm headphones. I use AKG K240's. Okay, I'm dating myself again! :(

Attachments

• pcb (medium).jpg
    pcb (medium).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.