What Adcom amp are these modules out of and how can I use them? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2006, 01:39 PM   #11
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi EvilYoda,
Quote:
for 115 volt operation...15 amp 250 Volt
For all five channels. Try a 6~8 amp fuse.

I think you'll have a pretty decent stereo amp there. Watch your grounding.

-Chris
Old 5th July 2006, 07:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi EvilYoda,

The ADCOM amps with 4-digit part numbers (7500 vs. 555) use MOSFET output devices. So, they typically use dual transformer secondaries, one high-power set for the amp and one low-power set for the higher voltage Gate drive circuitry. By the looks of the power caps and dual rectifiers, this seems to be the case on your modules. I'd recommend buying the $25-$30 manual from ADCOM (or $15 on eBay) and verifying the transformer secondary requirements. It's the safest bet to keep from damaging those nice power modules.

Cheers!
Paul
Old 5th July 2006, 07:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Yeah, I think I'm going to just pick up a manual as I haven't been able to find any help locally...but I really appreciate the response!
Old 5th July 2006, 08:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Hi EvilYoda,
The people at Adcom are all new to me (they were bought out and moved a while ago). They are a very helpful bunch. I do not believe you will get any free info (not surprising, and completely fair).

They can be reached at http://www.adcom.com/ . Just navigate to the service link and send an email.

I did have occasion to talk to them, they were very helpful. More so than I have experienced with some other companies. I would buy the manual from them.

-Chris
Old 5th July 2006, 08:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Yeah, I just started a conversation with them, so we'll see how things go...hopefully I figure things out by summer's end as I'll be quite busy!

A few connectors here and there...2 transformers...a fuse or 4...soon, soon.
Old 5th July 2006, 08:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

I wonder if they made a stereo version using those moduals? I'd get that manual.

-Chris
Old 12th July 2006, 04:48 AM   #17
woodman is offline woodman  United States
diyAudio Member

Those modules look like 7XXX amplifier modules. They should be pretty good sounding, although I never listened to them.

I tested that series shortly before I left Adcom and they measured very well. I may have even established/wrote the bias proceedure, but it's been a long time & the memory is fuzzy.

No, I don't think they're MOSFETS, they should be plain old BJTs. BTW - This is not a Nelson Pass design, but a Bob Gallien (Gallien-Kruger bass amps) design. C. Victor Campos said Bob was one of the most straightforward & practical engineers he ever met.

Cheers,
Old 12th July 2006, 02:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Hi James,
Quote:
I tested that series shortly before I left Adcom and they measured very well. I may have even established/wrote the bias proceedure, but it's been a long time & the memory is fuzzy.
Now that's cool. I may have talked to you just after Adcom went direct to Canada for support. My shop was retained as a service agent.

Where are you now?

-Chris
Old 13th July 2006, 01:14 PM   #19
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Hi EvilYoda,
The people at Adcom are all new to me (they were bought out and moved a while ago). They are a very helpful bunch. I do not believe you will get any free info (not surprising, and completely fair).

-Chris
Sooo...that may be the reason why the market was flooded with all the 12kuf 80V Sprauge caps for a while. I bought a box of them when they hit the streets. Too good a price to let pass by,and they are still being flogged by some folk. You know how they (companies) dump stock when changing hands and location... I was happy enough to get the nearly free caps. Not good for the guys who like their warranties to be intact, but hey, I'm not directly involved. Until I bother to go and get that 585. At least I'll hear what an Adcom sounds like, again.

To digress from another thread (), what brand and model scopemeter would be found of feabay that is of a decent quality?
Old 13th July 2006, 03:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ken,
You have mail .....

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!