Introduction to Power Amplifiers (Diy kit)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This doesn't look like a great amp to me. No collector load for Q1, poor temp comp. (Vbe multiplier would be better), no turnoff resistors for the drivers, poor low-frequency response (100ufs is to small). If you want more power, I'd pick a different design.

Clever bootstrapping, but that's about all I can say.

Every circuit can be scaled up or down and optimized but you have to know how to do it first. I have to admit that I liked the tutorial and I wish I would have seen it two or three years ago when I was still struggling to learn how simple power amplifiers work. It gives some food for thought and a nice alternative for building just chip amp kits. IMO it may be a very effective way to start learning about discrete amplifier circuits. Maybe the circuit does not impress with superb sound quality but I think the original idea was to keep it as simple as possible, otherwise it might scare away the people who know fairly little about PA circuits. I think, the design is fairly good for something with 1/2 to 2 watt power rating and serves the purpose of the kit well.

Hi,

I have purchased Audio IC Op-Amp Applications by Walt Jung for a good price.

I'm hoping this book will provide a good background reading for gainclones, preamps, IV convertors for current DAC's.

For Power amplifier design I was thinking about one of Doug Self's book.

Any thoughts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.