mosfet dissipation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2006, 04:52 PM   #11
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
you are asking a lot from 1pair of 150W FETs to drive a 3r3 load to 120W. To then ask the same amp to cope with the reactive impedance of a real speaker is going too far, in my opinion.

Compare the SKA GB150, it uses 2pair of 150W devices in an efficient output stage configuration to achieve 150W into 4ohm. Ampguru recommends 0.9C/W sink.

If you keep the FETs cool with a BIG sink (0.5C/W) it may survive on gentle speaker loads. No guarantees, but then my software seems to be pessimistic.
Old 10th June 2006, 03:46 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

You're quite right - Greg's GB150D appears a lot more capable with 4 x 150W devices and the modern TO3P package allowing easy direct connection to the conrad, for better thermal transfer.
Then there's the lower dissipation common source MOSFETs. You really don't see the real value of a great design until it's finer points are compared with others.

I note Suzy uses a transfer heatsink not included in her thermal calculations -that's gotta be another 1 deg/watt and another 19 degC in die temp.

Also there's probably another 5deg C in the fact that the conrads 0.37 deg/W is for an 80 deg rise not 56 , but the transfer heatsink probably corrects that.

Good thing music isn't static power.
Old 10th June 2006, 08:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Sorry mate,
but Mr Ball's GB150 is 150 watts in 8 Ohms, not in 4 !
If the GB150 does much less than 240 watts in 4 Ohms it wouldn't be very impressive. The GB150 is likely to get in reach of 275 watts in a 3.3 Ohms load.

Long time ago i've constructed a 100 watt/8 design with 4 Mosfets in the output stage, the TO220 types as used in the Pass/Thagard A75 class A amplifier. Those have only half the max power of the TO247 IRFPs.
The mono amplifiers had no trouble driving QUAD ESL63s whatsoever, 90 degree phaseshift reactive enough ?(plenty heatsinking and higher voltage front end rails up to the drivers, admitted)
With doubled number of output devices they run for years as a 50 watt class A duo. (15 watts continuous dissipation per device)

Total power capability to continuous output power in 8 Ohms ratio of the GB150 is 4 to 1. That used to be the classic ratio for all the Hitachi output mosfets class AB designs ranging from Perreauxs to the Sphinx amplifiers by the Silltech cable guys overhere.

Miss jackson is right to mention that a solid thermal calculation is appropiate, just the power figure without a heatsink doesn't add up to much. Max dissipation occurs at 1/2 output voltage though, not half output power. I'd like some of those TO247 thermal pads that can do 0.2 C/W.
Old 10th June 2006, 04:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Jacco,
that is not what Ampguru says.
He recommends reducing the transformer voltage significantly for driving 4ohm speakers.
He is effectively claiming 150W into 8ohms speakers OR 150W into 4ohm speakers. Although there is mention of 200W ability for 4ohms but no confirmation of resistive or reactive loading.
Old 10th June 2006, 05:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I believe Mr Ball makes a distinction between 4 ohm use and heavy 4 ohm use. The GB150 design and the kind of output devices aren't fit for very low impedance use to begin with.

Now, take for instance my personal all-time No1 horrible amplifier, the 1982 Crescendo. That design did 140 watts continuous in 8 Ohms and 250 watts peak output in 4 Ohms on four 100-watt Hitachi output devices only. Prescribed heatsink was a 6" SK53 profile.
The Creshitty ran on 70-75 Vdc rails, but if one could keep it from oscillating it was virtually impossible to kill, not even with rotten loads. Wish it did, sounded horrible despite its large bandwidth. (imo).

(Mosfets and vertical ones in particular are only good for Class A output stages)
Old 10th June 2006, 08:55 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Jacco,
and his question, relating to 1pair of 150W FETs, is
Quote:
could i use it on 120W rms (20V rms x 6A rms).
We are agreeing that more pairs can do much more than he requires.
But, my contention is that, 1pair cannot drive a 3.3ohm reactive load to 120W reliably.

Hide this!Advertise here!