Tweaking Mcintosh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi diyman,
That is not uncommon to find with carbon composition.

My advice. Use metal film in the critical signal path positions. Make sure they are not inductive designs. Metal Oxide resistors in other positions work very well. I use them when rebuilding McIntosh units, and others. Far more stable and quieter than carbon composition types.

I only use carbon composition in RF circuits. Inductance is the main consideration there.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi diyman,
In my honest opinion - no. What you will do is lower the background noise. You will also eliminate some resistance vs voltage changes. The actual "sound" of this amp should only improve.

You will change the sound possibly, just by correcting the off value problems. When that amp was shipped, those parts were in tolerance, so the sound has changed from what the designers intended (and "voiced") anyway. In other words, you are not listening to a McIntosh right now.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.