LM317 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is an amplifier circuit employing an adjustable regulator LM317 as the active element. (adopted from Dulcet of the hifidiy.net)

I have done a search, and found this old thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=70643#post70643

I am going to build one, but before I actually start, I would like to hear your opinion first.

My plan is to replace the LM317 (max 1.5A) with LM338K (TO-3 package) (max 5-7A), in the hope that I could get more power out from it. Is it feasible, and is there any modification of the circuity needed?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Best wishes,
Russell

Attachments

• lm317.jpg
    lm317.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,154
Hi SY,

thanks for your reply. I have tried the chip amp way before (LM3875, 3886, OPA549). They are indeed very good.

The LM317 amplfier is just a mini-project for fun. In addition, it does generate heat like a real class A amplifier. ;-)

BTW, isn't the principle of the LM317 circuit similar to that of the chip amp?

Thanks again for your reply.

Best wishes,
Russell

It's slower, has much poorer overload characteristics, and higher distortion. You could do better with a good opamp and a big old pass transistor and generate the same heat.;)

If it's for fun, then just throw one together on the bench and test it. Worst case, you're out $6-7 of parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.