Powerful sub amplifier needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI, my brother have some PA speakers and he would like to add some subwoofer to his set up but like to carry large and heavy power amp.
Could it be possible to build powerful small amplifier to drive those subwoofer, don't need to be high end, maybe a built in crossover. Would like to have minimum amount of components and at least 500W.
Any ideas. Thanks

If we're talking about weight, wouldn't a class D amp be a better option? Smaller transformer and heat sinks translate into less back strain hauling the thing around.

Though Rod's P68 amp looks pretty small, You might also want to check out the P116, but I admittedly have zero experience with this amp nor other class D amps (other than using them) so you would probably want to ask over in the Class D section of the forum.

David

myhrrhleine said:
You could consider 2 smaller amps bridged.
Can be easier to carry than 1 (weight wise)
Otherwise, consider digital (class D)

Except bridging an amplifier doesn't provide any more power, just the same power into a different impedance!.

For example, 200W into one 8 ohm speaker (mono) as opposed to 100W+100W into two 4 ohm speakers (stereo). Exactly the same power, into exactly the same total impedance - the difference being one speaker instead of two.

PA Subs w Amp

If you want big sound without a lot of weight to carry around you may have to make some compromises. Definitely go with the Behringer active crossover. The CX2310 offers a great deal of flexibility ( see www.musiciansfriend.com $89.00 US ) For power amp weight is just a fact of life. Consider QSC RMX series. Tons of power with big sound. I use RMX1450 to drive a pair of JBL bass horns and it sounds very nice. For BIG but compact bass output you may look at Eminence LAB12 from Parts Express.com Folded horn plans are available if you have cabinet making skills and tools. Also, I suggest going to a pro sound company ( not necessarily a music store ) in your area. They often have consignments or used gear they will get rid of for cheap. Find some 15 or 18 scoops or short throw bass horns. Good luck!!!:cool:

Nigel Goodwin said:

Except bridging an amplifier doesn't provide any more power, just the same power into a different impedance!.

For example, 200W into one 8 ohm speaker (mono) as opposed to 100W+100W into two 4 ohm speakers (stereo). Exactly the same power, into exactly the same total impedance - the difference being one speaker instead of two.
I think the point isn't to use two chanels of the same amp (like in car stereo) but to actually use two different amps to provide double the power of one amp. Using two small amps will certainly give you more power than one smaller amp.

$299

Buttkicker Amplifier / BKA1000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• will drive up to 2 LFE in parallel and 4 LFEs used in individual home theater seats
• uses 1050W per Buttkicker with 2 units in parallel
• terrific cost-effective amplifier for any home/pro application
• class D switching technology
• RCA & 1/4" inputs with 160mV & 1.25V sensitivities eliminates need for separate amp
• 5-way binding post output
• convection coiling (no fan)
• 115V - 230V switchable, worldwide usage
• power: 1100W @ 4 ohm, 2100W @ 2 ohm
• variable high cutoff: 40 - 160Hz
• low cutoff: 25Hz switchable
• dimensions: 12"W x 11"L x 4.375"H
• weight: 25lbs

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PA Subs w Amp

When looking at amps w built in Xover make sure that it allows Xover point in range of 300Hz. This will apparently allow better power output for the speakers from the amp. Remember, a subwoofer for pro use is much different than in the home. To get high output of below 40Hz can be costly. Get a GOOD!!! power amp that has a fan and good warranty. Be cautious with unknown brands. They may not be around in a year or two when your amp goes bzzzzppppppttttt during a show on a hot summer afternoon. Then you are stuck with a boat anchor. For the subwoofers, consider the venue. If you are playing in clubs with less than 500 people( a decent club will have adequate PA ) 4-6 short throw bass horns or Dual 18 scoops will kick butt. Outside= many other problems. What type venue do you usually play? Also, what type music? :cool:

HI, thanks, It's not really for me, it's my brother's band. I told him that he really don't need a subwoofer that goes as low as 30Hz. The real dynamic of PA music is around 70 to 125 Hz.That way , need a much less powerful amp. I told him that maybe 2 Eminence Kilomax 15A with 1250 watts and 99dB would be OK for him.Maybe if I can get more information about class d amplifier, could build some to to put inside the box with external heat sink as well as a fan.Right now he drive two Peavey speaker with 15 in. driver. Could incorporate built in crossover at maybe 120Hz. Could tune the boxes at around 45Hz. Btw, is the electronic crossover really needed,does he have to cut the bass on his
Peavey speakers or play bass on the Peavey and the sub with two different amp. Thanks for any advice.

ostie01 said:
HI, thanks, It's not really for me, it's my brother's band. I told him that he really don't need a subwoofer that goes as low as 30Hz. The real dynamic of PA music is around 70 to 125 Hz.That way , need a much less powerful amp. I told him that maybe 2 Eminence Kilomax 15A with 1250 watts and 99dB would be OK for him.Maybe if I can get more information about class d amplifier, could build some to to put inside the box with external heat sink as well as a fan.Right now he drive two Peavey speaker with 15 in. driver. Could incorporate built in crossover at maybe 120Hz. Could tune the boxes at around 45Hz. Btw, is the electronic crossover really needed,does he have to cut the bass on his
Peavey speakers or play bass on the Peavey and the sub with two different amp. Thanks for any advice.

Yes, you do need an electronic crossover, the whole point of sub-woofers is to take the bass out of your existing speakers, allowing them more breathing space, and to be louder on mids and highs.

You can also get passive crossovers, which means you don't need a seperate amp, but that way you're losing power rather than gaining it.

The amp 'Buttkicker' above is only a home amp, not suitable for PA use - you want something sturdy and reliable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.