Subbing Transistors Within A Unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on a receiver that has the same type of small signal transistor in the AM and MPX sections. The MPX section transistor is suspect, I am going to pull it and if I cannot determine for sure that it is defective, I would like to sub one from the AM. Speaking generally, can just about any transistor be pulled from an AM section and place left vacant without any ill effect on the AM section when I turn on to test the FM section?

Not only on transistors - ICs too. Sometimes, the wire-bond (to silicon pad) is soooo marginal that a little thermal causes it to work (or not). Other times, the internal wires marginally touch each other (usually due to incorrect epoxy plastic flow during packaging). You can get very strange effects from that...

Uh, so what am I trying to say - Chris' advice is good - throw away the sub'd unit, particularly if it's inexpensive...

Cheers!

Clem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.