Leach 4.5 amp for studio... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Leach 4.5 amp for studio...

Hello!
I'm sound technician from Slovenia. Friend gave me very well done pcb's for Leach 4.5. He told me it's very good amp, but he don't know what sound it has.
Now i'm wondering if it would be good as a reference amp to power my KRK ST8 studio monitors rated at 120w/8 ohms. I use them for studio monitoring. I never tried leach, but i know amps like Crown, Hafler, QSC, JBL and many other pro amps.
My question to you is what i can expect from this amp soundwise.
Thanks for replys. Miha
Old 1st June 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The Leach v4.5 will sound vastly better than any of the commercial amps mentioned.

It will sound tighter in the bass.

It will sound smoother in the highs.

It will have more detail.

It will image better and have more depth.

Use no ceramic caps. The better the caps are, the better that amp will sound.
Old 1st June 2006, 01:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, this seems good for the studio. But some people mentioned it's more hi-fi sounding amp. But i can bulid this one and if i don't like it i change main board with p101.
Thanks for reply. If anyone have more experiences please tell me.
Regards from Miha
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:32 AM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"But some people mentioned it's more hi-fi sounding amp. "

If you want someting colored, veiled, harsh, and boomy, build something else.

In a studio I want things to be as neutral and revealing as possible to hear what I am producing.
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, ok, i totally agree with you. I only said what i heard. When i saw circuit and specifications my first thought is that this amp is for sure neutral. But i like to ask if i don't know...
Do you run studio? I started to build the SSL stereo compressor and i'm close to start build API312. Did you ever build any pro equipement? And thanks for taking time.
Regards Miha
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rotation
Did you ever build any pro equipment?Regards Miha
Hi Miha,

DJK is Master in Pro-amps...

Cheers,
K a n w a r
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"But some people mentioned it's more hi-fi sounding amp. "
Mr. DJK is a "God" when it comes to Pro Audio and audio in general. When Mr. Dennis speaks it is fact and you can count on it to be so. Mr Dennis can recall schematics from 30 some years ago in a flash with a 99% chance of being correct. I suggest that when he speaks we listen.

My personal opinion here... I find the Leach to sound uncolored and free. The bass is very clean and tight with free flowing midrange and highs. It is a benchmark amplifier in which others should be judged. It is a perfect amplifier for studio monitoring.

I highly suggest that you educate yourself to what proper audio should sound like. You won't find it in the Crown,JBL,QSC, or HAffler amps as they are unnatural sounding each with their own sonic signature.
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Aha! I didn't know Mr Dennis is so much into pro amps. I agree with you that pro amps i mentioned are coloured and some of them very unnatural sounding, specially late Haflers. I will keep in mind your opinion. After all this replys i'm sure Leach will be my new amp. I was wondering about P101 which is a bit cheaper, but if you say Leach is so good than i will go for it.
So thanks for replys.
Old 2nd June 2006, 04:39 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the ESP has very many fewer components. It's cheap, but when well built can produce surprisingly good sound.

However P101 never even got onto my shortlist.

As for the commercial amps, I have never knowingly listened to any of them but if disco sound is anything to judge by then steer well clear.

I would listen to my Leach's if only I had completed assembling any of them. Too many distractions.

Go ahead and build it as best you can.

Hide this!Advertise here!