Diy Bose Waveguide Radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2002, 03:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to verbose mustafa
Default Diy Bose Waveguide Radio

Please keep in mind I know nothing about audio so please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Ok, I was watching an ad for one of the overpriced bose acustiwave radios. I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound and makes it sound really good. The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right. So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar? As a little experiment, i took some copper pipeing that was laying around the basement, and made a long tube. The tube fit my laaptop speaker great... it about an inch. The laptop spearker is about 6 years old, has no base and little sound. When i put the tube over it, it sounded pretty damn good for a laptop. So I was thinking that with a little research, this could be applied to make a good set of speakers. Just a thought.

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 03:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
uh, you probably could but my tivoli model one sounds damn good, looks nice and its was cheap so unless you need something more then Id go with the model one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 08:34 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: Diy Bose Waveguide Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by verbose mustafa
So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar?
1st you need the FM radio part. I would suggest one of the Tivolis -- 7 colors to choose from.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then find some Radio Shack 40-1197s (or Fostex FE103s) and put them in a 3-4" diameter pipe 42-43" long. Some damping is necessary. I will also be playing with some 3" Tagbands but i haven't determined what works with them yet.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 02:45 AM   #4
form109 is offline form109  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tyler,Texas
The Bose Waveguide Sounds Good for its Size....

is the Waveguide Just a Squashed Up Transmission Line?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 05:26 AM   #5
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbose mustafa View Post
I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound
Yes, it kind of works like that. There are several resonances in the upper bass, they selectively make certain notes louder and longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbose mustafa View Post
and makes it sound really good.
No, it does not do this. The B*** WR does not even sound acceptable, next to a semi-sensible mini-system that is cheaper and only a little larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbose mustafa View Post
The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right.
That would be the trick to use if you actually wanted to make it work. But B*** is not even trying to do that. You can check literature and patents.

You can try, but it generally involves tapering and folding the pipes to avoid single strong resonances and you need two different length for each segment and the whole between L & R, to make the response a little more even, it still does not work very well.

Ciao T
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:40 PM   #6
form109 is offline form109  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tyler,Texas
The Bose does Sound Decent......none of Bose Products are Bad...just OverPriced..and abit Over Rated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
You can try, but it generally involves tapering and folding the pipes to avoid single strong resonances and you need two different length for each segment and the whole between L & R, to make the response a little more even, it still does not work very well.
The Wave Radio and variants use a single line, behind the left hand driver. The right hand driver has a small sealed enclosure behind it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 03:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
lanchile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AREA 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbose mustafa View Post
Please keep in mind I know nothing about audio so please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Ok, I was watching an ad for one of the overpriced bose acustiwave radios. I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound and makes it sound really good. The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right. So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar? As a little experiment, i took some copper pipeing that was laying around the basement, and made a long tube. The tube fit my laaptop speaker great... it about an inch. The laptop spearker is about 6 years old, has no base and little sound. When i put the tube over it, it sounded pretty damn good for a laptop. So I was thinking that with a little research, this could be applied to make a good set of speakers. Just a thought.

Click the image to open in full size.
Just get a Tivolis and you will end up with better product and you will save money too.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bose 901 jerishi Multi-Way 16 10th December 2006 11:49 PM
Mr Bose, meet Mr Radio Shack larry wiley Multi-Way 18 2nd February 2005 06:49 AM
Bose wave-radio and Chipamps jackinnj Chip Amps 3 2nd January 2005 05:29 AM
Bose PAS like raintalk Multi-Way 16 23rd December 2004 11:32 PM
Was Bose right all along? navin Multi-Way 50 18th June 2004 02:13 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2