Diy Bose Waveguide Radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please keep in mind I know nothing about audio so please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Ok, I was watching an ad for one of the overpriced bose acustiwave radios. I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound and makes it sound really good. The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right. So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar? As a little experiment, i took some copper pipeing that was laying around the basement, and made a long tube. The tube fit my laaptop speaker great... it about an inch. The laptop spearker is about 6 years old, has no base and little sound. When i put the tube over it, it sounded pretty damn good for a laptop. So I was thinking that with a little research, this could be applied to make a good set of speakers. Just a thought.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
verbose mustafa said:
So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar?

1st you need the FM radio part. I would suggest one of the Tivolis -- 7 colors to choose from.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then find some Radio Shack 40-1197s (or Fostex FE103s) and put them in a 3-4" diameter pipe 42-43" long. Some damping is necessary. I will also be playing with some 3" Tagbands but i haven't determined what works with them yet.

dave

Hi,

I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound

Yes, it kind of works like that. There are several resonances in the upper bass, they selectively make certain notes louder and longer.

and makes it sound really good.

No, it does not do this. The B*** WR does not even sound acceptable, next to a semi-sensible mini-system that is cheaper and only a little larger.

The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right.

That would be the trick to use if you actually wanted to make it work. But B*** is not even trying to do that. You can check literature and patents.

You can try, but it generally involves tapering and folding the pipes to avoid single strong resonances and you need two different length for each segment and the whole between L & R, to make the response a little more even, it still does not work very well.

Ciao T

You can try, but it generally involves tapering and folding the pipes to avoid single strong resonances and you need two different length for each segment and the whole between L & R, to make the response a little more even, it still does not work very well.

The Wave Radio and variants use a single line, behind the left hand driver. The right hand driver has a small sealed enclosure behind it.

Please keep in mind I know nothing about audio so please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Ok, I was watching an ad for one of the overpriced bose acustiwave radios. I guess how it works is that there is a long tube in there that amplifies the sound and makes it sound really good. The trick is, they made the tube just the right length to hit all notes and pitches just right. So I was thinking, couldn't you make a waveguide type speaker with pvc pipe or somthing similar? As a little experiment, i took some copper pipeing that was laying around the basement, and made a long tube. The tube fit my laaptop speaker great... it about an inch. The laptop spearker is about 6 years old, has no base and little sound. When i put the tube over it, it sounded pretty damn good for a laptop. So I was thinking that with a little research, this could be applied to make a good set of speakers. Just a thought.

Just get a Tivolis and you will end up with better product and you will save money too.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.