Help with repair of Marantz PM17 KI please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2006, 08:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with repair of Marantz PM17 KI please

Hello,

I was hoping I could get some help with repairing my Marantz.

A few weeks ago I decided to "tweak" the bias current on this amp (Why didn't I leave it alone?) and in the process blew the two power transistors on the left channel.

I have replaced all transistors on the left channel (I am waiting for the 2SC3419 to turn up). I also replaced three low-value resistors that had blown. I got a copy of the service manual and checked all resistors as well. BUT I came to check the B-E resistance on the transistors to compare them with the good channel and some are way off (The A1303's are nearest the HDAMs):

Tran. L R (kOhms)
1303 3.14 3.53
1837 3.77 3.74
3419 2.01 2.01
4793 5.24 5.26
3284 3.03 3.73

I set the left trimmer to the same value as the right channel (about 1.3k)

Here is a picture of the boards:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/645/dsc037438hj.jpg

Any ideas what I need to do to get the resistances for the two main power trannies correct? Any other advice about my problem?

If I have changed the transistors on one side only will it affect the sound of the amp? Or is it best to just get another board altogether? Marantz quoted 240 to replace the board but apparently its 90 just for the part.
Old 29th May 2006, 08:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can someone kindly give me some advice?

Until I can get this sorted I am without my amp
Old 29th January 2007, 08:10 AM   #3
mosfet1 is offline mosfet1  Italy
diyAudio Member

Smile pm17 fault

Hello, if you change the output transistors with a good type (sanken!) I think will be the right way (pay attenction to the counterfeits transistors labelled like originals...). You have to make a bias correction, so I think that maybe dangerous.
Often when you turn the bias trimmer a little, the bias current increase much much more, you must pay attenction, you must have a digital multimeter (two are better) for checking the incoming currents.

I don't know if Marantz on pm 17 kis select output devices strongly. You can try to change the defective couple only and (after the regulations and few hours of works) make a listening check.

Can you send me a copy of service manual at my e-mail address (I'm waiting for a defective pm 17) ?

Thanks
walter

Hide this!Advertise here!